Page images

ments, disability payments, or lump-sum payments can be paid. The application should be made promptly since the number of back payments possible is limited by law. Application for benefits filed by survivors with either the Veterans Administration or the Social Security Administration will constitute an application for benefits from both agencies. However, for administrative reasons, each agency requires an application on its prescribed form. In addition, supporting documents filed with either agency

will be made available to the other agency. Retired members are urged to contact the nearest Social Security Administration District Office for information and assistance concerning social security benefits. You should also brief your dependents to assure that they understand the requirement for submitting an application for benefits in the event of your death. The address of the district office can be obtained by any post office or from the telephone directory, under Social Security Administration.


Average yearly earnings after 1950

$800 or less








Retirement at 65
Disability benefits

$44. 00

$78. 20 $101. 70 $112. 40 $124, 20 $135. 90 $146.00

$168. 00

Retirement at 64

41. 10

73. 00

95. 00

105. 00

116. 00

126. 90

136. 30

156. 80

Retirement at 63

38. 20

67. 80

88. 20

97. 50

107. 70

117. 80

126. 60

145. 60

Retirement at 62

35. 20

62. 60

81. 40

90. 00

99. 40

108. 80

116. 80

134, 40

Wife's benefit at 65 or with child

in her care

22. 00

39. 10

50. 90

56. 20

62. 10

68. 00

73. 00

84. 00

Wife's benefit at 64

20. 20

35. 90

46. 70

51. 60

57. 00

62. 40

67. 00

77. 00

Wife's benefit at 63

18. 40

32. 60

42. 50

46. 90

51. 80

56. 70

60. 90

70. 00

Wife's benefit at 62

16. 50

29. 40

38. 20

42, 20

46. 60

51. 00

54, 80

63. 00

One child of retired or disabled


22. 00

39. 10

50. 90

56. 20

62. 10

68. 00

73. 00

84. 00

Widow age 62 or over

44. 00

64. 60

83. 90

92. 80

102. 50

112. 20

120. 50

138. 60

Widow at 60, no child

38. 20

56. 00

72. 80

80. 50

88. 90

97. 30

104. 50

120. 20

Widow under 62 and 1 child

66. 00

117. 40

152. 60

168. 60

186. 40

204, 00

219. 00

252. 00

Widow under 62 and 2 children

66. 00


202. 40


279. 60

306. 00


368. 00

One surviving child

44. 00

58. 70

76. 30

84. 30

93. 20

102. 00

109. 50

126. 00

Two surviving children

66. 00

117. 40

152. 60

168. 60

186. 40

204. 00


252. 00

Maximum family payment

66. 00


202. 40


280. 80

309. 20

328. 00

368. 00

Lump-sum death payment

132. 00

234. 60

255. 00

255. 00

255. 00

255. 00

255. 00

255. 00

Chapter 34


188. American Red Cross. Local Red Cross chapters offer assistance in preparing claims for Veterans Administration benefits and other Federal and State benefits for veterans. Assistance, including financial aid when eligible, regarding personal and family problems, is offered to retired personnel. The Red Cross also provides information and referral services to veterans regarding legal assistance and other resources available within the community for dealing with problems growing out of military service. Contact the local chapter in your community for further information. 189. Homesteading. Some public lands are still available for homesteading. The title passes to the homesteader provided that he fulfills the residence and improvement requirements. Retired personnel are entitled to file applications for homesteading 90 days ahead of nonmilitary applicant. For further information contact any Federal Land Office of the Bureau of Land Management, Department of the Interior, Wash DC 20006. 190. Unemployment Compensation. The ExServicemen's Unemployment Compensation Act of 1958 may entitle military retirees to receive unemployment compensation based on former Federal military service. Rights to unemployment compensation for ex-servicemen will be determined by the unemployment compensation law of the State in which the retiree first files a claim for compensation after release from active military service. Those retired members who have had employment in civilian occupations, including jobs with the Federal Government, since retirement (or while in service, during off-duty hours) and subsequently become unemployed, may also be eligible for State or Federal unemployment compensation based on such employment. Receipt of retirement pay may prohibit or reduce unemployment compensation in some States. A retired member who is seeking a job should visit the

nearest local office of the State employment security agency to obtain information on how to register for work and how to file a claim for unemployment compensation. (See paragraph 124, this pamphlet, for employment assistance provided by the U.S. Employment Service.) 191. Veterans Administration Homes. The Veterans Administration maintains a number of domiciliary homes. Information on the entrance or eligibility requirements may be obtained from any Veterans Administration Office. 192. Educational Assistance:

a. Three nonprofit agencies have established preparatory scholarship programs to qualify deserving youths for admission to the Air Force Academy. The agencies are:

(1) The Gertrude Skelly Trust Fund, the Falcon Foundation, and the General Henry H. Arnold Educational Fund.

(2) Use of the Skelly Trust Fund is limited to sons, adopted sons or stepsons of active, retired or deceased career members of the U.S. Armed Forces. Applicants may make their own choice of preparatory school, either on the high school or college level. Application for financial assistance must be made before 1 June for school years beginning in September. Applications for scholarships may be obtained by writing to the Gertrude Skelly Trust, Box 1349, Tulsa, Okla.

(3) The Falcon Foundation was established in 1958 in Dallas, Tex., to provide a sustaining program of annual scholarship grants to selected preparatory schools in various parts of the Nation. Each scholarship pays for the cost of room and board and tuition at the school. Requests for scholarships, applications and information concerning the schools available must be made directly to the Falcon Foundation, Post Office Box 611, Dallas, Tex. Completed applications must reach the Foundation no later than 1 April of each year.

(4) The General Henry H. Arnold Educational Fund of the Air Force Aid Society provides educational assistance to unmarried dependent children of Air Force personnel who have not attained the age of 22. Priority is given to children of deceased Air Force and Army Air Force personnel who died on active duty or in retired status. Assistance is limited to college vocational training, and preparatory schools beyond high school level. The applicant may make his own choice of an accredited school. Application may be requested from the Air Force Aid Society, National Headquarters, STOP 102, Wash DC 20333, after 1 Octobe They will apply for the academic year following and must be returned before 31 January. Assistance requested under this Fund is not limited to those individuals desiring appointment to the Air Force Academy.

b. "Need a Lift?” is an annually revised handbook published as a part of The American Legion's Education and Scholarship Program to assist students, parents, and counselors to secure current information on careers and scholarships. The booklet is available from the American Legion, Department S, Post Office Box 1055, Indianapolis Ind 46206.

c. The Office of Education, Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, makes available publications on educational assistance throngh the Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Wash DC 20102, for a nominal fee.

d. The National Defense Education Act provides scholarships and fellowships to students enrolled in American colleges and universities. The school selects those who will receive the loans. The student must be a full-time undergraduate or graduate student, in need of the amount of the loan to pursue his or her course of study and, in the school's judgment capable of maintaining good grades. An undergraduate student may borrow in a year a sum not to exceed $1,000, with a maximum of $5,000 for the entire course. Repayment begins 1 year after the individual ceases to be a full-time student, and must be completed within 10 years. Partial cancellation is provided if the borrower becomes a full-time teacher in a public elementary or secondary school. The graduate fel

lowships carry a stipend of $2,000 for the first academic year, $2,200 for the second year, and $2,400 for the third such year, plus $100 annually for each of his dependents. More detailed information and application procedures are available from the registrar's office of the school in which enrollment is desired. 193. Correspondence Courses:

a. Retired officers are eligible to participate in extension courses offered by The Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Ft. Leslie J. MeNair, Wash DC 20315.

b. USAFI courses are not available to retirees unless they are also employed by U.S. Civil Service or to complete courses which were started before retirement. Information relative to courses completed or tests taken may be obtained from USAFI, Madison Wis 53701.

c. Extension Course Institute, Gunter AFB Ala is not available to retirees. 194. United States Soldiers' Home:

a. The United States Soldiers' Home, Wash DC 20315, was established by Congress to provide a home and other benefits authorized by law for its members. Some of the more important benefits are:

(1) Suitable accommodation in barracks.
(2) Subsistence.
(3) Medical, dental, and hospital care.

(4) Furnishing of prescribed civilian clothing.

(5) Laundry and drycleaning service.

(6) No deductions are made from pensions, retired pay, or other income, for any service provided by the home.

b. Eligibility. Retired personnel are eligible for admission to the home, provided they meet one of the qualifications listed below:

(1) Over 20 Years Service. Every enlisted person or warrant officer, male or female, of the Air Force or Army, who has served honestly and faithfully for 20 years or more, provided that in computing the necessary 20 years' time, all full-time active military service in the Air Force or Army, whether or not as a member of the regular component thereof, shall be credited. Service in the Navy, or Marine Corps, or as a commissioned officer, cannot be counted.


(2) Service-Connected Disability. Every enlisted person or warrant officer, male or female, of the Air Force or Army, whether or not in the regular component thereof, who has had some service in the regular Air Force or the regular Army and has been rendered incapable of earning his own livelihood by reason of disease or wounds incurred in the military service of the United States and in line of duty and not as a result of his own misconduct.

c. Persons Ineligible for Admission to the Home. The benefit of the U.S. Soldiers' Home will not be extended to any person, otherwise eligible, who has been convicted of a felony or infamous crime of a civil nature after his admis

sion into the service of the United States; nor shall anyone who has been a deserter, mutineer, or habitual drunkard be received without such evidence of subsequent service, good conduct, and reformation of character.

d. Procedure for Admission. Retired personnel who believe that they meet the eligibility requirements may submit their application for admission direct to the Board of Commissioners of the U.S. Soldiers' Home. If the application is based upon a service-connected disability, a statement, from a physician concerning the nature and degree of disability, must be submitted with the application. A sample application letter follows:



[blocks in formation]


hereby apply for admission to (place)

(date) membership in the United States Soldiers' Home, Washington, D. C. My military service has been as follows:

[blocks in formation]
« PreviousContinue »