Page images

it came away, its size being three inches and a half long, three inches in breadth, and three inches and a quarter in thickness. On the 31st October she went to the country, before the wound was quite healed; shortly after this a fungous growth sprung up, which was readily destroyed, and she is now quite well.



August 28th, 1856.—Mrs. G—, aged forty-three years.-In August, 1855, she first discovered a small lump, the size of a in her right breast. Poultices of linseed, hemlock, &c., were applied, which only aggravated the symptoms. A French physician gave her an infusion of belladonna, &c. About Christmas, 1855, it began to grow with great rapidity, attended with lancinating pains. Drs. Delisle and Hawkins advised her to go to London for further advice, with the view of operating upon her on her return. She visited me on the 28th August, 1856, when I found the tumour 4 inches in length and 33 in breadth, and accompanied with excruciating pain. On the 28th of August I made my first application; by the 7th September it was destroyed, and came out on the 18th of the same month. During this treatment Mrs. G suffered no pain; all she complained of was a sensation of heat. On the 3rd November the parts were completely healed, and she returned home to the Island of Guernsey. Some time after her return home a small fungons growth manifested itself, and on the 12th February

1857, she returned to London to have it removed, which was quickly done, and at this date (2nd April, 1857) she is quite well.

NO. LX.-

September 9th, 1856.- Mrs. D—, aged sixty-two years. On the night of the 25th March, 1849, she felt much pain in the right breast, and from this time the nipple by degrees was gradually drawn in, and the breast assumed the form of an apricot, with the slit a little inclining crossways. No pain or inconvenience was suf fered from that time till early in the month of October, · 1854, when she felt very unwell, and on examining the breast when she retired to rest, found it much inflamed, a bright red spot the size of the top of a tea-cup being visible, but no pain was felt. The part was bathed with Goulard's lotion, and the inflammation gradually subsided. Soon after this two very small, hard, knotty tumours were felt, which increased upwards, forming hard lips on each side of the slit. In January, 1855, she showed it to her medical attendant, who confirmed her fears as to its being cancer, advising, at the same time, that nothing should be done, except keeping it clean, and if it came to a sore to apply only a little ointment to prevent the dressing adhering. About a month after this it ulcerated, the sore becoming very painful, and the discharge very offensive Things went on so until September, 1855, when Mrs. D

felt very unwell, the discharge became very offensive, sometimes of a greenish brown colour, often mixed with blood. In January, 1856, it was again very offensive, and conglomerated masses worked themselves out of the wound.

was as usual, but in no way

From February to July, 1856, Mrs. D the discharge continuing night and day, affecting her general health, for she was able to walk and sleep well. The breast continued to shrink and discharge copiously until the 9th September following, when she placed herself under my care. At this time the cleft or fissure referred to had extended across the breast in a diagonal direction. The ulcerated wound presented a frightfully mangled and raw appearance, the inflammation extending considerably beyond the part affected. The fissure was sufficiently wide to admit the finger being laid in it, the mass involved in the disease being six inches long by five inches broad. I made my first application this day. The disease was destroyed by the end of the month, and came out on the 12th October, and by the 28th February, 1857, the sore was completely healed, and she returned home quite well, and continues well to the present time During the treatment three of the ribs were exposed, and slight exfoliations took place.


September 20th, 1856.-Miss A, aged forty-one years. -About Christmas, 1855, she first observed a lump in her

right breast, accompanied with pain of a darting, shooting character, and also with a discharge of a bloody character from the nipple. The following January she consulted Mr. Marsden at his own house, who pronounced it to be cancer, and prescribed a lotion, which not only afforded no relief, but caused the disease to increase with great rapidity. In May last she entered St. George's Hospital, and was under the care of Mr. Cutler, who proposed an operation. She then consulted Dr. Protheroe Smith, who agreed with Mr. Marsden and Mr. Cutler, in pronouncing it to be true


September 20th, 1856.-I saw Miss A for the first time to-day, and advised her to submit to my method of treatment. September 23rd.-Made my first application to-day in the usual manner.

October 21st.-The tumour came away this forenoon, leaving the sore perfectly healthy. It measured 4 inches long, 4 inches broad, and 34 inches thick.

December 1st.-Miss A was dismissed quite well to-day. Cicatrix perfectly sound.

April 15th, 1857.-Miss A continues quite well to the present time.


October 1st, 1857.-Mrs. K-, aged fifty years.-About six months ago she first noticed that the nipple of the left breast was drawn in. At that time there was no pain. She soon afterwards observed a lump, which gradually increased,

when she consulted Mr. Cutler, of St. George's Hospital, who recommended an operation. A consultation was then held of several celebrated surgeons, who all advised its removal by the knife.

October 1st, 1856.-She applied to me this morning. I found the tumour the size of a large goose-egg. The nipple was also completely retracted, discharging thin serous fluid. The breast was tender to the touch, and she was constantly afflicted with the sharp, darting, shooting pains. I commenced treatment this day, first using the nitric acid.

December 4th.-The tumour came away to-day; it measured 5 inches long, 34 in breadth, and 33 in thickness. The sore continued to heal rapidly until the 15th January, 1857, when it was quite well.


April 15th, 1857.—Mrs. K—— is in excellent health, and the breast remains quite well.

The report of the two following Cases has been kindly furnished by the surgeons of the Middlesex Hospital.


Elizabeth M, in her eightieth year, frail and emaciated, was admitted into the Middlesex Hospital, January 6, 1857, under the care of Mr. Shaw, with a cancer in her right breast, of twelve months' growth, and in which ulceration had commenced three months before her admission.

From the centre and axillary side of the mamma there

« PreviousContinue »