Page images


May 23rd, 1856.-Miss M. A. H-, aged twenty-one years. Six years ago this disease showed itself in connexion with the wisdom teeth. The tooth of the right side was extracted, but the disease grew with great rapidity until the 13th February, 1853, when Dr. W. V. Pettigrew skilfully exsected the portion of the jaw-bone involved in the disease. The wound healed nicely; it however returned, and increased slowly until about a year ago, when it grew rapidly.

May 23rd, 1856.-Dr. Pettigrew sent her to me this forenoon. The whole angle and side of the jaw being very much enlarged, I told her that I would try and arrest the progress of the disease, and applied the brown ointment, alternating it with the ointment of the iodide of lead.

June 13th.—The patient thinks that the swelling is less. April 7th, 1857.—The applications were regularly applied for seven months, and the disease was completely arrested until a few weeks ago, when it again began to increase, and it is feared that another operation will become necessary. P.S.-Mr. Fergusson exsected a portion of the jaw on May 2nd, and Miss H—— died the next day.


June 2nd, 1856.-Miss A-, aged fifty-six years.During the summer of 1855 she first felt pain in the right breast. It was It was "shooting, pricking pain, like needles."

About three months ago she first felt a lump, which has rapidly increased, accompanied by the same characteristic pain. She consulted Mr. Cowell, who called in Mr. Hewett, of St. George's Hospital, and then Sir Benjamin Brodie. A grooved needle was introduced into it, but blood only followed. They then told her it was not cancer, and advised an immediate operation; to this she would not consent.

On the 2nd June she came to me, when I commenced treatment in the usual manner. It was then the size of a large goose-egg. In the course of making my incisions. I met with numerous cysts, which were opened, and from which thick, bloody, grumous matter exuded. As this tumour came away piecemeal, no accurate date can be given of the exact time of enucleation, but she was quite well on the 2nd September.

April 6th, 1857.—I have seen Miss A

then, and she continues perfectly well.

often since


June 9th, 1856.-Miss M. A. E—, aged forty-seven years. In the month of July, 1855, she first noticed a small lump, the size of a pea, in the right breast, but took no professional advice until November 1st, 1855, when Mr. Statham ordered it to be painted.

November 13th.-She went to the Cancer Hospital, where she saw Messrs. Marsden and Cooke, who pronounced it to be cancer, and they gave her some ointment to apply to it. She says, "at this time the lump was the size of my

thumb, and I think the ointment made it grow faster." By the 18th February, 1856, it was the size of a hen's egg. She then went again to the Cancer Hospital, where she remained until the 29th, without any treatment. "On that day," she says, "they gave me chloroform, and did something to my breast which made it very painful indeed. I understood they crushed it, to disperse it. A plaster was then put on it, and kept on for three weeks; but the lump still grew with rapidity, and on the 28th of March Mr. Marsden cut the tumour out, the wound healed, and on the 31st May I was discharged. On that day I called Mr. Marsden's attention to a lump near the scar, and asked him if it was a cancer? He said, ' Perhaps so; and if it was he would cut it out."

June 9th, 1856.-She came to me this forenoon, and I found a tumour the size of a filbert on the axillary side of the cicatrix, and the cicatrix itself much indurated. Her mother died of cancer in the breast. She returned to the Hospital on the 4th September. It was cut out on the 5th. She left the Hospital on the 2nd November, but there was a fungous growth on the surface of the cicatrix, to which she called Mr. Marsden's attention; he said it would amount to nothing. But her fears were well-grounded, for becoming my patient on the 29th November, 1856, I found an unhealthy fungous growth about the size of a florin, which was speedily removed; and as others sprung up they were also removed, and now (April 3rd, 1857), it seems healthy, and as if it would heal.


May, 1856.-Mrs. B, aged fifty years.-About the beginning of 1855 she first discovered a constant watery discharge, with frequent slight hæmorrhages, which she supposed were dependent upon the change of life. These continued for about a year, the health becoming much impaired, and the discharge fœtid. She mentioned the fact to her medical attendant, who proposed an examination ; but to this she refused to submit, until she was seized with a most alarming hæmorrhage, which continued for three days. She was then examined by two surgeons, and was told that she had a cancerous tumour of the womb. She was much reduced in strength, and began to suffer from dyspeptic symptoms. On the 5th May, 1856, she consulted me. On examination I found that she was suffering from cauliflower excrescence of the mouth of the womb. At the same time I held out to her the hope of relief, and stated that if I did not effect a cure, in all probability I would prolong her life beyond the time she anticipated. I applied daily the red ointment, and in a very short time she began to improve, regain her strength and her appetite. I soon sent her home, instructing her nurse how to make the applications, and although not well, she writes me (March 23rd, 1857), “I am able to make myself useful in my family, and to take moderate exercise without pain or tire." About a week ago she paid me a visit, and was able, without any inconvenience, to take a ride in a carriage.


June 23rd, 1856.-Mrs. B, aged sixty years.-In January, 1853, she first felt a small lump in the right breast. In June of the same year, the lump having increased, she saw Mr. Fergusson, who said the tumour was a glandular swelling, and ordered a soothing plaster to be applied. During the winter of 1853 and 1854 the pain increased, becoming at times acute. In August, 1854, she saw Mr. Fergusson a second time, the tumour having increased to the size of a walnut, and the skin having also become very much strained and discoloured. Another plaster was ordered. The following day (August 16th, 1854) she saw Sir Benjamin Brodie, who considered the case hopeless. He ordered the tumour to be covered with a lamb's skin, and sarsaparilla to be taken internally. In the course of a few days the disease spread very rapidly, the whole breast becoming swollen and inflamed, and the general health much impaired. On the 26th August, 1854, Dr. Julius, of Richmond, applied ice and salt to the breast. This was continued at intervals of two months between each application. This treatment was pursued until June, 1856, during which time the general health was much improved, and the progress of the tumour in a measure arrested. I saw her upon the 23rd June, 1856, but did not commence my treatment until the 26th. On that day I made my first application, and on the 8th of August the chief portion of the disease came away. Four small tumours, in the same breast and near the arm, were then removed, the operation taking about a week for

« PreviousContinue »