Page images

ers and unenclosed portions of ground level or intermediate stories.

g 101-17.003–22 Space utilization sur

vey. Space utilization survey means a detailed analysis, using recognized space management procedures and techniques, of the manner in which an agency is utilizing its space.

8 101–17.003–23 Federal agency.

Federal agency means any executive agency or any establishment in the legislative or judicial branch of the Government except the Senate, the House of Representatives, and the Architect of the Capitol and any activities under his direction.

8 101–17.003–24 Executive agency.

Executive agency means any executive department or independent establishment in the executive branch of the Government, including any wholly owned Government corporation.

8 101-17.003–27 Occupiable area.

Occupiable area means that portion of the gross area which is available for use by an occupant's personnel or furnishings, including space which is available jointly to the various occupants of the building, such as auditoriums, health units, and snack bars. Occupiable area does not include that space in the building which is devoted to its operations and maintenance, including craft shops, gear rooms, and building supply

supply storage and issue rooms. Nonpermanent ceiling-high corridors solely serving a single space assignment and permanent corridors restricted for the security purposes of a single space assignment are occupiable. Occupiable area is computed by measuring from the occupant's side of ceiling-high corridor partitions or partitions enclosing mechanical, toilet, and/ or custodial space to the inside finish of permanent exterior building walls or to the face of the convector if the convector occupies at least 50 percent of the length of the exterior wall. When computing occupiable area separated by partitions, measurements are taken from the center line of such partitions.

8 101–17.003–25 Non-Federal organiza

tions. Non-Federal organizations means organizations such as credit unions, concessions, and vending stands operated by the blind; organizations under the direct sponsorship of a Federal agency such as grantees and contractors; and such recognized groups or organizations as defined in $101-20.701.

[43 FR 35484, Aug. 10, 1978]

g 101-17.003-28 Building support area.

Building support area means that portion of the floor area that is not occupiable by an occupant's personnel or furnishings. It consists of the mechanical, toilet, custodial, circulation, and construction areas including their enclosing walls and represents the difference between gross area and occupiable area.

8 101–17.003–26 Gross area.

Gross area means the sum of the floor areas computed by measuring from the normal outside face of exterior walls, disregarding architectural setbacks or projections, cornices, pilasters, and buttresses, and including all stories or areas which have floor surfaces and a clear standing headroom of 672 feet or more. Gross area includes basements (except unexcavated portions), attics, garages, roofed porches, mezzanines, loading platforms, shipping platforms, penthouses, mechanical equipment floors, lobbies, and corridors. Suspended postal lookout galleries are not included. Gross area does not include open courts, light wells, upper portions of rooms, lobbies and other areas which rise above the story being measured, drives or ramps extending beyond the principal exterior walls of the building, or unroofed areas such as cooling tow

§ 101–17.003–29 Government-controlled

space. Government-controlled

space means Government-owned space or Government-leased space.

8 101-17.003–30 Circulation factor.

Circulation factor means an allowance to enable movement within occupiable space which may be added by GSA to space requests depending on agency functions and anticipated or actual physical variations in buildings. In practice, the actual circulation factors may vary depending on:

(a) Bay and floor size; (b) Shape and symmetry of the space; (c) Building core size and location;

(d) Column spacing, chases, and building projections; and

(e) Location of fixed corridors and fire aisles.

(43 FR 35484, Aug. 10, 1978]

g 101-17.003.31 Layout factor.

Layout factor means an allowance to enable efficient location of equipment and work station components within occupiable space which may be added by GSA to space requests depending on the use of existing and/or proposed furniture, various layout techniques, and anticipated or actual physical variations in buildings. In practice, actual layout factors may depend on:

(a) Furniture type, size, and interchangeability and the extent to which they can be logically and efficiently linked;

(b) The type of layout techniques to be employed by the planner/designer when it is finally drawn up; as well as

(c) The actual expertise of the planner/designer in performing the layout task and the time available to accomplish it.

merce and any non-SMSA that meets one of the following criteria:

(a) A geographical area within the jurisdiction of any incorporated city, town, borough, village, or other unit of general local government, except county or parish, having a population of 10,000 or more inhabitants.

(b) That portion of the geographical area within the jurisdiction of any county, town, township, or similar governmental entity which contains no incorporated unit of general local government, but has a population density equal to or exceeding 1,500 inhabitants per square mile; or

(c) That portion of any geographical area having a population density equal to or exceeding 1,500 inhabitants per square mile and situated adjacent to the boundary of any incorporated unit of general local government which has a population of 10,000 or more inhabitants. (Reference: The Intergovernmental Cooperation Act of 1968, 40 U.S.C. 535.)

(45 FR 37203, June 2, 1980)

g 101–17.003–34 Central business areas.

Central business areas means those areas within a central city in an SMSA or any non-SMSA that encompass the community's principal business and commercial activities, and the immediate fringes thereof, as geographically defined in consultation with local elected officials.

(43 FR 35484, Aug. 10, 1978]

(45 FR 37203, June 2, 1980)

g 101-17.003–32 Space allocation stand

ards. Space allocation standards means agreements between GSA and an agency that are written in terms which permit nationwide application and are used:

(a) As a basis for establishing agency space requirements;

(b) To document variations from FPMR guidelines in determining agency space allocations; and

(c) To establish exceptions to general guidelines for GSA and agency responsibilities in initial space alteration funding.

8 101–17.003-35 Central city.

Central city means any city whose name appears in the title of an SMSA. Criteria for determining SMSA titles are established by the Department of Commerce.

(45 FR 37203, June 2, 1980]

[43 FR 35485, Aug. 10, 1978]

8 101–17.003–36 Rural area.

Rural area means any area that (a) is within a city or town if the city or town has a population of less than 10,000 or (b) is not within the outer boundaries of a city or town if the city or town has a population of 50,000 or more and if the adjacent urbanized and

8 101-17.003–33 Urban area.

Urban area means any Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area (SMSA) as defined by the Department of Com

urbanizing areas have a population density of more than 100 square mile.

posed for construction shall be submitted to GSA on GSA Form 144, Space Requirements. (See $ 101–17.4902–144.)

(45 FR 37203, June 2, 1980)

Subpart 101-17.1-Assignment of


g 101-17.100 Scope of subpart.

This subpart prescribes the responsibilities and procedures which are applicable to the assignment of space to Federal agencies and other entities entitled to occupy space in Governmentowned and -leased buildings.

8 101-17.101-la Type of request.

The type of request shall be indicated on Standard Form 81, Request for Space.

(a) An initial request means a request for space in a location where an agency does not presently occupy any space or where space is required for new agencies or new missions of existing agencies.

(b) A supplemental request means a request for space in a location where an agency already occupies space but needs additional space to provide for expanding program responsibilities.

(c) A replacement request means a request for space to replace that occupied by an agency as a result of a relocation or a consolidation of agency activities.

g 101-17.101 Requests for space.

(a) Except as provided in 8101–17.101– 2, Federal agencies shall satisfy their space needs by submitting a Standard Form 81, Request for Space, to the GSA regional office responsible for the geographic area in which the space is required. A listing of GSA regional offices and the areas they service is shown in $ 101–17.4801.

(b) Heads of executive agencies shall:

(1) Cooperate with and assist the Administrator of General Services in carrying out the Administrator's responsibilities with respect to buildings and space, recognizing the requirement that primary consideration be given to locating within the central business area in urban areas

(2) Give the Administrator of General Services early notice of new or changing space requirements;

(3) Economize in their requirements for space; and

(4) Review continuously their needs for space in and near the District of Columbia, taking into account the feasibility of decentralizing services or activities which can be accomplished elsewhere in the Nation without excessive costs or significant loss of efficiency.

§ 101-17.101-1b Certification of re

quest. The need for space requested, the number of personnel listed, and the availability of funds, as appropriate, for reimbursement to GSA shall be certified by an authorized official of the requesting agency on the Standard Form 81. When applicable, the certification will also state that the request is in compliance with $$ 101-17.103, 101– 18.107, and 101–19.101 which require the requesting agency to submit documentation that the availability of low and middle income housing in the delineated area has been cleared with the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

(39 FR 23196, June 27, 1974, as amended at 45 FR 37203, June 2, 1980]

§ 101-17.101-1 Form of request.

Space requests, except those for space in proposed buildings included in the Public Buildings Construction Program, shall be submitted on Standard Form 81, Revised, Request for Space. (See $ 101–17.4901–81, Request for Space). Requests for space in buildings pro

g 101-17.101-2 Exceptions to submit

ting requests for space. Standard Form 81 need not be filed by Federal agencies when the space desired or to be acquired is:

(a) General purpose space of 2,500 square feet or less falling within the geographical area where leasing authority has been delegated to the agency. (See $ 101–18.104.)

(b) Special purpose space of 2,500 square feet or less irrespective of geographical location.

(c) Space acquired by the U.S. Postal Service.

(d) Space for short-term conferences and meetings. (See $ 101–17.1014.)

appropriate building bulletin board, amplifier system, screen and motion picture projector, and other special equipment needed. GSA may obtain privately owned conference and meeting facilities by service contract on an hourly rate basis where combined requirements of the Federal agencies in a particular area would justify an open end service contract for such space for intermittent use periods or for an extended period of time.

g 101-17.101_3 Action when space is

not available. If no suitable Government-controlled space is available, GSA will so advise the requesting agency by the return of a signed copy of the Standard Form 81, showing thereon the action to be taken.

(a) When the agency has acquisition authority or has been delegated such authority by the Administrator of General Services it may thereupon proceed to acquire the requested space. The signed copy of the Standard Form 81 shall be attached to the leasing or related instrument made available to the General Accounting Office. Such clearances are extended on a fiscal year or part of a fiscal year basis, except in these instances in which the acquiring activity uses longer term leasing authority.

(b) GSA may take necessary action to acquire space for agencies having acquisition authority when the latter so request by checking the appropriate block on Standard Form 81.

(c) GSA will take the necessary action to acquire the space for agencies having no acquisition authority.

g 101-17.1014 Short-term use of con

ference and meeting facilities. Agencies having a need for facilities for short-term conferences and meetings shall contact GSA informally to make their requirements known. GSA will determine if suitable Governmentowned facilities are available in the desired area and, if so, will notify the requesting agency of its assignment. If no suitable facilities are available, GSA will assist or advise agencies in arranging for the use of privately owned facilities when agencies have authority to contract by purchase order or other means. Payment for use of privately owned conference or meeting rooms is, in fact, payment for the services and furnishings that are provided. Such services and furnishings, in addition to the facilities (auditorium, conference room, meeting room, etc.), would include chairs (already placed as requested by the user), rostrum with tables and chairs, posting of notices on

§ 101-17.101-5 Space requirements for

ADP equipment. (a) Agencies requiring space for the installation of data processing equipment must provide the following information in addition to the requirements of $ 101-17.101-1:

(1) Type of equipment (including make, model number, manufacturer, and number of units of each);

(2) Space and environmental requirements, including:

(i) Floor weight (lbs.);

(ii) Machine dimensions (width, depth, and height in inches);

(iii) Service clearance (front, rear, right and left sides);

(iv) Power in voltage and kv.-a. (starting loads and operating loads);

(v) Heat dissipation in B.t.u./hr. and air flow (c.f.m.);

(vi) Environmental factors of temperature range (F) and relative humidity; and

(vii) Need for raised floor, acoustic ceiling, and air-conditioning;

(3) Related requirements, such as storage space for supplies, tapes, and disks; work space, including desk and aisle space; and future expansion needs;

(4) Agency responsible for funding; and

(5) Required occupancy date.

(b) The above information should be provided as separate supplemental data to Standard Form 81, Request for Space, and forwarded to the GSA office as outlined in 101–17.101. The space requirements indicated in block 11 of Standard Form 81 must include the space requirements for all components of ADPE. The ADPE supplier should be consulted prior to establishing space needs in order to ascertain any specific or peculiar space requirements of the ADPE involved.

(c) It is essential that this information regarding the requirement for ADP space be transmitted to GSA as far as possible in advance of delivery of equipment so that space can be provided in a timely and economical man


(b) GSA may, in accordance with policies and directives prescribed by the President, including Executive Order 12072 of August 16, 1978 (43 FR 36869), under sections 205(a) and 210(e) of the Federal Property and Administrative Services Act of 1949 (40 U.S.C. 486(a) and 490(e)), and after consultation with the agencies affected, assign and reassign space of any executive agencies after determining that such assignments or reassignment is advantageous to the Government in terms of economy, efficiency, or national security.

§ 101-17.101-6 Procurement of parking

for Government-owned vehicles.

[39 FR 23196, June 27, 1974, as amended at 45 FR 37203, June 2, 1980]

Agencies having a need for other than temporary parking accommodations in the urban centers listed in § 101-18.102, for Government-owned motor vehicles not regularly housed by GSA, shall, prior to initiating procurement action for parking accommodations, make their needs for such facilities known to the appropriate GSA office as outlined in 9101-17.101. The request, which may be in the form provided in Standard Form 81. Request for Space, will be reviewed by GSA to determine the availability of Government-controlled space. The agency will be notified promptly should no such space be available. This notification will become a part of the file supporting the subsequent procurement.

8101-17.102–2 Assignment by agencies.

Except for the space covered by $ 10117.102-1(a), and subject to the provisions of $ 101–17.102-1(b), agencies may perform all functions with respect to the assignment and reassignment of space. The Administrator of General Services may, in specific cases, authorize executive agencies to perform any of the functions described in $10117.102-1(a).


$ 101–17.102 Procedures for assigning


8 101–17.103 Application of

economic considerations.

§ 101–17.102–1 Assignment by GSA.

(a) GSA will perform all functions with respect to the assignment and reassignment of space:

(1) In Government-owned buildings which GSA controlled for assignment and reassignment purposes on June 30, 1950.

(2) In specific Government-owned buildings for which assignment and reassignment functions were transferred to GSA pursuant to section 1 of Reorganization Plan No. 18 of 1950 (3 CFR; 40 U.S.C. 490 note) or section 210(d) of the Federal Property and Administrative Service Act of 1949, as amended (40 U.S.C. 490(d)).

(3) In Government-owned buildings or space acquired by GSA by purchase, condemnation, transfer, lease, or otherwise.

(4) In Government-owned buildings which have been or may be determined to be within the assignment and reassignment authority of GSA.

(a) Agencies shall cooperate with GSA in coordinating proposed programs and plans for buildings and space in a manner designed to exert a positive economic and social influence on the development or redevelopment of the areas in which such facilities will be located.

(b) Whenever actions are proposed to accomplish the reassignment or utilization of space through the relocation of an existing major work force, the impact on low- and moderate-income and minority employees shall be considered where:

(1) 100 or more low- and moderate-income employees are expected to be employed in the new space; and

(2) The relocation involves residential relocation of a majority of the existing low- and moderate-income work force, a significant increase in their transportation or parking costs, travel time that exceeds 45 minutes to the new location or a 20 percent increase in travel time if travel time to the

« PreviousContinue »