Page images









[ocr errors]

AVING obtained leave from the Princess to

spend the summer with my parents in Sweden, I sailed in the Hero from Hull for Gottenburg on Saturday morning, the 18th of July, 1868. General and Mrs Grey, with two daughters, had promised to come a fortnight later to pay me a visit at my own home, which promise was fulfilled, and a very happy seven weeks we had all together at Elghammar.

On the 14th of September they left it to return to England, it being my intention, when they left, to follow in about three weeks; and after a little time

spent with my eldest brother, lately appointed Swedish Minister at Copenhagen, to return to England toward the end of October.

These plans were, however, all upset by a letter from the Princess, in which she told me that she wished me to accompany her on the tour she projected with the Prince of Wales to the East, and to join her at Copenhagen in the beginning of January; and that in the mean time I might remain quietlywhich she knew would be a pleasure to me—with my father and mother in Sweden. This was too tempting an offer not to be eagerly embraced, and accordingly, after six months spent happily with my dear parents, I left Stockholm at 6 P.M. on the 10th of January, to join her Royal Highness at Copenhagen. At five o'clock I went to say good-by once more to my dear mother and brother, who were neither of them well enough to come to the station, to which my father and many friends accompanied me to see

me off.

The weather was dull, but very mild (8° Cent. above 0); and being 17° in the railway carriage, all the precautions against cold, of fur cloaks and wrappers, were quite unnecessary. At 11 P.M. I arrived at Elmhult, where I was delighted to find a clean and warm bed.

Arrival at Copenhagen.


The next day, January 11, I started at 8.45 for Malmö, where I arrived at one o'clock, and took the boat that left for Copenhagen at two, which latter place we reached by four o'clock; the sea as calm as possible.

My brother met me on landing with his carriage, and at once took me home to his house, where he had tried—and certainly with complete success—to make me comfortable; and here I spent four very happy days with him.

January 12. Soon after breakfast I went to see my

dear Princess, and to hear something of the proposed plans. I found her, as usual, most kind and affectionate, but very sorry that the few weeks she had been able to spend with her father and mother had come to an end. Her visit seemed to have been a great happiness to her. It is now arranged that we shall set out for our long journey on the 15th, and that while I accompany her Royal Highness as her lady-in-waiting, Lady Carmarthen and Colonel Keppel, who accompanied the Prince and Princess from England in November, shall part from us at Hamburg, and, with Sir W. Knollys, take the Royal children home. The plan is for us to pass by Berlin and Vienna, and embark on board the Ariadne frigate, fitted as a yacht, at Trieste; sail from thence to Alexandria; and, after going up the Nile as far as the Second Cataract, to visit Constantinople, the Crimea, and Greece, before returning home somewhere about the beginning of May. Such is the plan made out for us, but it is, of course, open to many changes, as the political state of things between Greece and Turkey at the present moment may, after all, very possibly upset the latter part of the journey; and in that case we shall return home through Italy.

We dined at the palace, where I saw all the Royal family, who were most kind and gracious. Later in the evening I went to a reception at the Russian Minister's, Baron Mohrenheim.

January 13. In the morning paid some visits, and took a walk with my brother, with whom I spent the day, and dined alone at home, paying a quiet visit after dinner to a relation.

January 14. I had a long audience of the Queen, and later of Princess Caroline.

We had some people at dinner, and at nine o'clock went to a ball at the Palace, from which we did not get home till three o'clock.

January 15. My last day with my dear brother; and though I looked forward with great delight to our Eastern trip, yet I felt quite sad to leave him, and my heart almost sunk within me at the thought

Departure from Copenhagen.


of parting from all I love most in the world for such a long time.

At 8 P.M. I joined the Prince and Princess at the station, to which they were accompanied by the King, the Queen, and the Crown Prince, who, together with their suite, and also the English Minister, Sir C. Wyke, and some other members of the Embassy, went with us as far as Korsöer. At the station a great many Danish officials, Foreign Ministers, and many members of society, had assembled to take leave of their Royal Highnesses. We arrived at Korsöer at eleven, and left again at twelve o'clock by the steamer Freya for Lübeck. The Danish Royal family took leave of us at Korsöer, and returned to Copenhagen the same night. After a very fair passage of ten hours, we arrived at Lübeck at half past ten in the morning of January 16. We started at once by special train for Hamburg, where we arrived at 1.30 P.M., and drove to the Victoria Hotel.

Our party, including the servants, was now fortytwo in all. The weather much colder (5° Reaum.), and we saw ice and snow.

We were all rather tired, and did not leave the hotel. We dined at seven o'clock, our dinner-party consisting of ourselves, the Duke and Duchess of Glücksburg, Princess Louise, and Prince Julius of

« PreviousContinue »