« PreviousContinue »
5. The providing of a definite plan of salvation, by obedience to which man may obtain remission of his sins, and be enabled to advance by effort and righteous achievement throughout eternity.
6. The establishment of the Church of Jesus Christ in the "meridian of time," by the personal ministry and atoning death of the foreordained Redeemer and Savior of mankind, and the proclamation of His saving Gospel through the ministry of the Holy Priesthood during the apostolic period and for a season thereafter.
7. The general "falling away" from the Gospel of Jesus Christ, by which the world degenerated into a state of apostasy, and the Holy Priesthood ceased to be operative in the organization of sects and churches designed and effected by the authority of man.
8. The restoration of the Gospel in the current age, and the reestablishment of the Church of Jesus Christ by the bestowal of the Holy Priesthood through Divine revelation.
9. The appointed mission of the restored Church of Jesus Christ to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof amongst all nations, in preparation for the near advent of our Savior Jesus Christ, who shall reign on earth as Lord and King.
The short essays following have been published at weekly intervals through two years; they number therefore one hundred and four. Concise rather than exhaustive treatment has been attempted. No apology is offered for reiteration of quotations or comment; repetition seemed preferable to the introduction of cross references.
JAMES E. TALMAGE.
Salt Lake City, Utah,
1. THE MUSTARD SEED AND THE TREE-Development, not Growth
8 DIVINE COMMAND AND HUMAN AGENCY-The Church a De-
50. THE LAW OF THE LAND-Should We Submit to It?.
DEITY AS EXALTED HUMANITY-Man is a God in Embryo
80. KNOWING AND DOING-Knowledge May Help to Condemn
84. REACHING AFTER THE DEAD "Lest We Forget"