Page images

Louis the Fourteenth said, on hearing of his death, “ La moindre qualité du Duc de Lorraine était celle de Prince.” “Je viens de perdre,” he added, “le plus sage et le plus généreux de mes ennemis.”

What justice could not obtain from Louis, the treaty of Ryswick in 1697 compelled him to grant-a restitution of the secular possessions of Gérard of Alsace and of Réné of Anjou, and in April, 1700, the bells of the two thousand churches of Lorraine and du Barrois pealed forth a joyous welcome to the return of their ancient sovereigns in the person of Leopold, son of Charles the Fifth and Eleanor of Austria. His reign might justly be called the golden age of thirty years. He found Lorraine deserted and impoverished; he repeopled and enriched it. As great a politician as his father had been a brave warrior, he managed to preserve peace while the rest of Europe was distracted by war; he restored the aristocracy to their estates, rebuilt the houses of the poorer gentry, and encouraged trade. The administration of justice was to him a sacred duty, and he had formed a plan for liquidating all the debts of the State in ten years, when his career of usefulness was cut short by death in 1729. The hopes of the country now turned on his son, Francis the Third, who gave ample promise of inheriting the talents of his father ; but again the policy of France interfered, and after much negociation it was arranged that Francis should cede his paternal inheritance to Stanislas, ex-King of Poland, and father-in-law of Louis the Fifteenth, receiving in exchange the sceptre of Tuscany, and with the hand of Maria Théresa, heiress of Bohemia and Hungary, the prospect of the Imperial diadem. It is said that Francis wept at the thoughts of his future grandeur, as another might have lamented his fall; but he possessed not the means of maintaining the independence of his country against the will of Europe, and on the 21st of March, 1737, the deputies of Louis the Fifteenth and of the King of Poland took possession of Nancy.

The departure of the last of their Princes was witnessed with the most poignant regret by all ranks of society, and the reception given to Stanislas was proportionably cold, but his sterling qualities soon gained him the love of his new subjects, and under bis wise and mild government the country once more enjoyed the blessings of peace and prosperity. Stanislas is reproached for having destroyed or removed many of the monuments of the former glory of Nancy; but he was, on the other hand, eager to embellish the city with other designs. He restored the Church of Bon Secours, which dates its erection from the defeat of the Burgundians in 1477 ; he built the beautiful gates of Toul and St. Catherine, and planned and executed the Place d'Alliance and the Place Royale.

In this last, a marble statue was erected to his memory in 1831, at the expense of the four departments of the Meurthe, the Vôsges, the Meuse, and the Moselle, which formed the ancient Duchy of Lorraine, with the following simple but striking in. scription :

"A Stanislas le Bienfaisant,

La Lorraine reconnaissante.” The present College and many other useful establishments were founded by Stanislas, and though his palace was at Lunéville, where he died a victim to State etiquette in 1766, he constantly visited the capital. Just, generous and virtuous, he, like Titus, considered the day to be lost that was not marked by some good action, and, beloved and honoured in life even by those whose attachment to their old masters was long the paramount feeling, his death was universally deplored.

The eloquent author of the “ Tableau de Nancy," from whose pages this slight sketch of its early history is principally drawn, says, “Les rayons de l'astre Lorraine s'étaient couchés en 1737, et l'époque de Leczinski ne pouvait être et ne fut autre chose qu'un majestueux crépuscule.”

With Stanislas terminated the independent sovereignty of Lorraine, which became from thenceforth an apanage to the of France; but Nancy continued the capital of a province, and the favourite residence of the old aristocracy, until the Revolution of 1789. In proportion to the remains of strength and intelligence which existed in it, was the levelling system of the democrats of that period, and while her public institutions suffered, and her monuments were displaced by a lawless rabble, the ancient capital of the proud house of Lorraine was degraded to the rank of a “ Chef-lieu du Département de la Meurthe.”


(Concluded). The corps was again inspected on the 18th March, 1856, by Major-General Gorran, C.B., who again expressed his approbation of the manner in which the 27th manœuvred at drill and behaved in quarters. In the Regimental Orders of the 19th March, with reference to the General's satisfaction the following appeared,

“The commanding officer has great satisfaction in making known to the regiment that Major-General Gorran has expressed to him his entire satisfaction of the appearance and movements of the corps on parade as already what has fallen under his observation in barracks this day, and he will not fail to report favourably thereof to head-quarters.”

A few months afterwards, 9th October, 1856, the regiment had the misfortune to lose Lieutenant-Colonel Durnford, who died at Simla when on leave, to the sincere regret of all ranks after a service of thirty-one years and nine months in the Inniskillings.

The 27th was next inspected by Brigadier F. Brind, C.B., on the 4th of November, who expressed bis opinion in the accompanying letter which he forwarded the same day to LieutenantColonel D. H. Kyle tben in command of the Inniskillings.

“Sealkote, 4th November, 1856. “ Sir, “On the occasion of Her Majesty's 27th Regiment being paraded for inspection this morning I find all so good that there is little room to particularize, and I can but regret that yourself and regiment had not the advantage of the discrimination of the General Officer Coinmanding the Division, for I make no question that in addition to the unqualified satisfaction I ain enabled to express, much deserving of remark would have attracted his favourable notice.

“ 2nd. It appeared to me that the field movements were executed with great accuracy and precision and that the regiment was particularly steady and correct in its marchings, its wheelings, either by companies or column, and its other changes of position.

“ Distance, that great test of attention and instruction of the commissioned rank was correctly observed throughout, and in all changes and formations the several portions of the regiment, as they successively formed on the alignment, were close and compact, well placed and prepared to act at once ; acquirements of the highest importance when before the enemy.

3rd. “Adverting to the recent severe sickness and the drill season having but recently commenced, I did not expeet to see field moveinents, but in those I viewed there was proof of the attention that has been paid to the instruction received from Army head. quarters for keeping up regimental efficiency during the year.”

“ 4th. The appearance of the regiment and its performance satisfy me that it is at this time in a high state of efficiency for any service in which it might be employed, and the evident desire on the part of all to contribute to this satisfactory result must be as highly gratifying to you, as it was pleasing to the inspecting officer.

"I request you will make known my sentiments in such manner as you may judge best.

"I am, &c.,
“(Signed) F. BRIND, C.B.

" Brigadier Commanding Sealkote Brigade, " To Lieut.-Col. Kyle, commanding 27th Regt."

The regiment marched from Sealkote en route for Nowshera on the 15th November, 1856, which station was reached on the 9th December. On the 25th of the same month the 27th again marched towards Peshawar to forin part of the force ordered to be present at the interview of the Chief Commissioner and the Ameer of Cabool. and took part in the grand review before Dost Malou med on the 31st December near the Kyber Pass.

The regiment was next reviewed by Major-General Reed, C.B., on the 6th January, 1857, when the inspecting officer declared himself to be “highly pleased at the steady and soldierlike appearance of the regiment in the marching and in the field movements.” The 27th returned to cantonments at Nowshera on the 11th February, 1857.

The same officer again inspected the regiment on the 7th of April following, when the accompanying appeared in Regimental Orders dated

[ocr errors]



aiment in cat the stead

on the 1'11"

“ Nowshera, 8th April, 1857. “Lieutenant-Colonel Williamson has much pleasure in publishing that he has been commanded by Major-General Reed, C.B., 10 coinmunicate to the Inniskillingers the great satisfaction it afforded him in witnessing at his inspection yesterday the very clean and soldierlike appearance of the regiment, as well as the steadiness and precision with which they performed the various battalion and light infantry movements.”

We now come to more serious tines. On the 14th May, 1857, intelligence was received of the mutiny of the Native Army at Meerut on the 10th of May, and instructions were issued to hold the regiment in readiness to march fully equipped for service to Gielam to join the moveable column then forming. The corps marched the following day under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Kyle. The strength of the regiment was as follows :-two field officers, two captains, seven lieutenants, four staff, fifty sergeants, forty-four corporals, eighteen drummers, and eight hundred and seventeen privates.

On their arrival at Hassan-Abdul on the night of the 18th May, orders were received from Divisional head-quarters directing the right wing of the regiment with its head-quarters to return and occupy the Fortress of Attock on the left bank of the Indus; the left wing under the command of LieutenantColonel Williamson proceeding on to Rawal Pindee.

On the 23rd May three companies of the left wing under command of Captain Warren made forced marches on elephants and gun carriages from Rawal Pindee to Attock, arriving there next morning, and relieved the right wing and head-quarters of the corps who (as the 55th N.I. had broken into open mutiny at Nowshera and Murdaun, where the soldiers' families, and heavy baggage, &c., had been left in charge of Lieutenant Davis,)

el 27th Mayhawur, and

the lines; Post,

proceeded the same night onder Lieutenant-Colonel Kyle by a forced march to Nowshera, crossing the Indus in boats, and on arrival speedily made arrangements for despatching the women and children to Rawal Pindee.

On the night of the 27th May the head-quarters and right wing made a forced march into Peshawur, and was brought on the strength of the garrison, and quartered in the lines of the 70th Foot, finding detachments to the Fort Machisson's Post, besides various picquets and other duties. Ten days later, (6th June,) the 27th furnished three sergeants, seven corporals, and fisty privates, volunteers to the Peshawur Light Horse, a local corps raised by General Cotton from volunteers from the Queen's troops in the Division. On the 8th June, 1857, the remaining two companies of the left wing marched from Rawal Pindee to Attock, leaving the sick, and the women and children, who had joined from Rawal Pindee, froin Nowshera, in charge of Lieutenant Geddes.

But little leisure was granted to the 27th ; on the 15th June the left wing was again in motion, marching under command of Lieutenant-Colonel Williamson from Attock to Nowshera, arriving the same night. Two companies, Nos. 7 and 8 were dispatched on the 29th June, under command of Captain Langley to Peshawur, in order to reinforce head-quarters.

An order was received on the 8th of July to move the 5th, 6th, and Light Companies from Nowshera to Attock, and in pursuance of this, Lieutenant-Colonel Williamson marched the same evening, arriving under the walls of the fortress at daybreak the following morning. The heavy baggage, regimental stores, &c., remained at Nowshera until the end of August, in charge of a guard of thirty-two men. On the 28th July, a detachment consisting of two sergeants, two corporals, one drummer, and forty-six privates were ordered into the Emsafzie country, to form part of the column under Major Vaughan (5th Punjaub Infantry), that had been ordered to attack the village of Naringie, Assistant-Surgeon Kidd accompanied the party, and Captain Bames commanded the division, formed of detachments from H.M.'s 70th and 871h regiments. The village was storied and carried without the Europeans having lost a man, the force returning to Peshawur on the Ilth August.

In the meanwhile, the regiment furnished one corporal and twenty-eight privates, as volunteers to the 4th Troop 2nd Brigade Bengal Horse Artillery. Lieut. H. B. Paton was also attached to the troop.

The dangers thickened, and events followed fast. On the 28th of August the 27th was present and took part in the entire destruction of the 51st N.I. which mutinied en masse at Peshawur. For their conduct on this occasion, both officers and men were thanked personally by the General in command of the Division.

02 Kida ordered to Major va

« PreviousContinue »