« PreviousContinue »
TITLE I–MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS
Sec. 101. This Act may be cited as the “National Traffic and Motor Short title. I Vehicle Safety Act of 1966”.
1 Sec. 102. As used in this title
Definitions. (1) “Motor vehicle safety” means the performance of motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment in such a manner that the public is protected against unreasonable risk of accidents occurring as a result of the design, construction or performance of motor vehicles and is also protected against unreasonable risk of death or injury to persons in the event accidents do occur, and includes nonoperational safety of such vehicles.
(2) “Motor vehicle safety standards” means a minimum standard for motor vehicle performance, or motor vehicle equipment performance, which is practicable, which meets the need for motor vehicle safety and which provides objective criteria.
(3) “Motor vehicle” means any vehicle driven or drawn by mechanical power manufactured primarily for use on the public streets, roads, and highways, except any vehicle operated exclusively on a rail
(4) “Motor vehicle equipment” means any system, part, or. component of a motor vehicle as originally manufactured or any similar part or component manufactured or sold for replacement or improvement of such system, part, or component or as an accessory, or addition to the motor vehicle.
(5) "Manufacturer” means any person engaged in the manufacturing or assembling of motor vehícles or motor vehicle equipment, including any person importing motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment for resale.
(6), “Distributor” means any person primarily engaged in the sale and distribution of motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment for resale.
(7) “Dealer” means any person who is engaged in the sale and distribution of new motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment primarily to purchasers who in good faith purchase any such vehicle or equipment for purposes other than resale.
(8) “Stato" includes each of the several States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Virgin Islands, the Canal Zone, and American Samoa.
(9) “Interstato commerce" means commerce between any place in a State and any place in another State, or between places in the same State through another Stato. (10) "Secretary” means Socretary of Commerce.
2 (11) “Defect” includes any defect in performance, construction, components, or materials in motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment.
(12) “United States district courts” means the Federal district courts of the United States and the United States courts of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Virgin Islands, the Canal Zone, and American Samoa.
(13) “Vehicle Equipment Safety Commission" means the Commission established pursuant to the joint resolution of the Congress relating to highway traffic safety, approved August 20, 1958 (72 Stat. 635), 23 USC 313 note. or as it may be hereafter reconstituted by law.