« PreviousContinue »
Some secret cell, ye Pow'rs, indulgent give,
Let such raise palaces, and manors buy,
Heroes, proceed! what bounds your pride shall hold,
To such the plunder of a land is giv’n, When publick crimes inflame the wrath of Heaven : "But what, my friend, what hope remains for me, Who start at theft, and blush at perjury? Who scarce forbear, though BRITAIN's court he sing, To pluck a titled poet's borrow'd wing ; A statesman's logick unconvinc'd can hear, And dare to slumber o'er the Gazetteer ; Despise a fool in half his pension dress'd, And strive in vain to laugh at Clodio's jest. ||
Others with softer smiles, and subtler art, Can sap the principles, or taint the heart;
Cedamus patriâ: vivant Arturius istic
& Queis facile est ædem conducere, flumina, portus,
Quid Romæ faciam? Mentiri nescio : librum,
Ferre ad nuptam, quæ mittit adulter,
• The invasions of the Spaniards were defended in the houses of parliament. + The licensing act was then lately made.
|| Hy's jest.
With more address a lover's note convey,
For what but social guilt the friend endears ?
m The cheated nation's happy fav’rites, see! Mark whom the great caress, who frown on me! LONDON! the needy villain's gen’ral home, The common-sewer of Paris and of Rome; With eager thirst, by folly or by fate, Sucks in the dregs of each corrupted state. Forgive my transports on a theme like this, "I cannot bear a French metropolis.
• Illustrious EDWARD! from the realms of day, The land of heroes and of saints survey; Nor hope the British lineaments to trace, The rustick grandeur, or the surly grace; But, lost in thoughtless ease and empty show, Behold the warrior dwindled to a beau; Sense, freedom, piety, refin'd away, Of France the mimick, and of Spain the prey.
m Quæ nunc divitibus gens acceptissima nostris, Et quos præcipue fugiam, properabo fateri.
Non possuin ferre, Quirites, Græcam urbem.
• Rusticus ille tuus sumit trechedipna, Quirine, Et ceromatico fert niceteria collo.
All that at home no more can beg or steal,
*Ah! what avails it, that, from slav'ry far,
Studious to please, and ready to submit,
Besides, with justice, this discerning age
"Well may they venture on the mimick's art, Who play from morn to night a borrow'd part;
P Ingenium veloz, audacia perdita, sermo Promptus.
9 Augur, schænobates, medicus, magus: omnia novit Græculus esuriens; in cælum, jusseris, ibit.
r Usque adeo nihil est, quod nostra infantia cælum Hausit Aventini?
Quid? quod adulandi gens prudentissima, laudat Sermonem indocti, faciem deformis amici ?
* Hæc eadem licet et nobis laudare: sed illis Creditur.
u Natio comæda est. Rides ? majore cachinno Concutitur, &c. . And what their armies lost, their cringes gain.
† And gain a kick.
Practis'd their master's notions to embrace,
*How, when competitors like these contend,
his breeches with a Monarch's air.
* By numbers here from shame or censure free, All crimes are safe but hated poverty. This, only this, the rigid law pursues, This, only this, provokes the snarling Muse. The sober trader at a tatter'd cloak Wakes from his dream, and labours for a joke; With brisker air the silken courtiers gaze, And turn the varied taunt a thousand ways. * Of all the griefs that harass the distress’d, Sure the most bitter is a scornful jest ;
* Non sumus ergo pares: melior, qui semper et omni
Materiam præbet causasque jocorum
A Nil habet infelix paupertas durius in se,
Fate never wounds more deep the gen'rous heart,
*Has Heaven reserv’d, in pity to the poor,
retails the favours of his lord.
Then through the world a wretched vagrant roam, For where can starving merit find a home? In vain your mournful narrative disclose, While all neglect, and most insult your woes. •Should Heav'n's just bolts Orgilio's wealth confound, † And spread his flaming palace on the ground,
c Haud facile emergunt, quorum virtutibus obstat
• Si magna Asturici cecidit domus, horrida mater,
Pullati proceres. • The Spaniards at this time were said to lay claim to some of our American provinces
+ This was by Hitch, a bookseller, justly observed to be no picture of modern manners, though it might be true at Rome. M$. note in Dr. Johnson's hand-writing.