« PreviousContinue »
again break thy Commandments? And whereas we have offended against the Lord already, should we add more to our Sins and to our Trespafles ?
* Hear ye the Word of the Lord, and fear, and do no more presumptuoully,, Depart from Evil, and do Good, and dwell for evermore.
REPENTANCE towards MEN. y If thou bring thy Gift to the Altar, and there remcuberest that thy Brother haih ought againct thee; leave there thy Gift before the Altar, and go thy Way; first be reconciled to thy Brother, and then come and offer thy Gift. 2 Wharver has wronged bis Brother in
Refilurics. any 7 hing, according to his Substance thall the Restitution be, and he thall not sejuice therein,
.a If I have taken any Thing from any Man by false Accusation, I restore him four-fold..
1 If the Wicked restore the Pledge, give again that he hath robbed; walk in the Statutes of Life, without committing Iniquity; he shall furely live, he shall not die.
* Deut. 17. 13. Psal. 37. 27. y Mat. 5. 23, 24, 2 Job a Luke 19.8.
b Ezek. 33. 15.
Concerning REW :1 RDS and PUNISH
'HERE be many that fay, Who will shew
uis any Good? (fear the Lord: For they that fear hiin shall not want any good Thing.
6 What Man is he that delireth Life, and loveth many Days, that'be may fee Good? Depart froin Evil, and do Good; seek Peace, and pursue it.
• Hearken not unto the Words of them that fay unto every one that walketh after the Imagination of his own Heart, No Evil shall come upon you.
. Lo this, we have searched it, so it is; hear it, and know thou it for thy Good. The Hand of God is upon all them for Good that feek hin; but his Power and his Wrath is against all them that forsake him.
• And God will punith the Men that say in their Heart, The Lord will not do Good, neither will he do Evil.
f I was envious at the Foolish, when I saw the Prosperity of the Wicked. They are not in Trou
34. 9, 10.
a Pral. 4. 6. Pral.
b Psal. 34. 12, 14, Jer. 23. 16, 17. dal Job 5. 27. Ezra 8. 22. 1, 12,
f Pral. 73. ja 5
ble as other Men; neither are they plagued like Diher Men. Behold, these are they who prosper in the World ;, they increase in Riches, yea, are mighty in Power. Verily, I have cleansed my Heart in vain, and washed mine Hands in Innocency. So foolish was I and ignorant, until I went into the Sandnary of God; then understood I their End, how are they brought into Desolation, as in a Moment! They are utterly consumed with Terrors.
8 A brutih' Man knoweth not, neither doth a Fool understand this: When the Wicked spring as the Grafs, and when all the Workers of Inin quity do flourith, it is that they shall be destroyed for ever.
h These are the Men of the World, which have their Portion in this Life ; and have no Inheritance in the Kingdom of Christ and of God.
The Wicked fay unto God, Depart from us; for we defire not the Knowledge of thy Ways. What is the Almighty, that we thould serve him? And what Profit ihould we have if we pray unio him ? Surely it is vain to serve God; and it profieth a Man nothing that he should delight him. felf with God.
* They have said alfo, that all Things come alike to all; there is one Event to the Righteous and to the Wicked, to the Good, and to the Clean, and to the Unclean : As is the Good, so is the Sinner, and he that sweareth as he that feareth an Oath. Let us therefore eat and drink, for Fo-morrowwe-die.
g Pial. Pfal. 73. 5,512. Job 21. 7. Pfal. 73. 13, 12, 17, 19. 92. 6, 7. h Pfal. 17.17
Eph. 5. 5.
Job, 2 1: 72.14, 15. Mal. 3: 14. Job 34. G.
k Ecclef. 2. 2. 1 Cor. 15. 32.
1 Thus doth their Heart carry them away, and they turn their Spirit against God: For they be. liese not that they thall return out of Darkness.
= Let no! hin that is deceived trut in Vanity; for l'anity thall be his Recompence.
* A Book of Remembrance is written before the Lord, for them that fear him, and that think upon his Nane: And they foall be mine, (faith the Lord of Hoits in the Day when I make up my Jewels; and I wil spare them, as a Man sparith his own Son that serveth him. Then Thall ye return, and discern between the Righteous and the Wicked; between him that serveih God, and hiin that serveth him put.
• Wo unto them that say, Let him make speed and hasten his Work, that we may see it; and let the Counsel of the Holy One of Israel draw nigh and come, that we may know it,' for itre Day of their Calamity is at hand, and the Things that shall come lipon them make halte.
p Behold, faith the Lord, I come quickly, and my Reward is with me, to give every Man according as his Work thall be.
REWARDS to the RIGHTEOUS,
Godlincfs is profitable unto all Things; hav. ing Promise of the Life that now is, and of that which is to come,
: The Lord will render to every Man his Righteousness and his Faithfulness. He will recompense his Work; and a full Reward shall be given him of the Lord.
$ The Lord will give Grace and Glory; and no good Thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.
* All Things work together for Good to them that love God.
u Be ye (trong therefore, for your Work shall be rewarded. And be careful to maintain good Works; for these Things are good and profitable unto Mei.
w Thou, O God, wilt keep him in perfect Peace, whose Mind is stayed on thee. Thou wilt bless him indeed, and keep him from Evil, that it may not grieve him.
* The Way of the Lord is Strength to the Upright. They shall dwell safely, and be quiet .
, from fear of Evil. They thall not be ashamed in the evil Time.
y Great Peace have they, O Lord, which love thy Law; and nothing thall offend them.
2 The Fear of the Lord tendeth to Life; and he that hath it shall abide fatisfied: He Thall not be visited with Evil. a And who is he that will harm
be Followers of that which is good ?
Many are the Afflictions of the Righteous; but the Lord delivereth him out of them all.
? Job 33. 26. i Sam. 26. 23. Ruth 2. 12.
s Pfal. 84. 11. u 2 Chron. 15.9.
litus z. 8.1 ! Rom. 8. 28.
w Isa. 26. 3. * Prov. 10,29
Prov. 1. 33• i Chron. 4. 10.
Prov. 19. 23:
2 ; Per. 18, 19.
y Pfal. 119. 165 3. 13 b Plal. 34. 19.