« PreviousContinue »
In GENERAL. GO
OD commandesh all Men every where to
repent; and to turn to him, and to do Works meet for Repentance.
God requireth that which is paft; therefore let every Man repent him of his Wickedness, saying, What have I done?
· Our Trangreslions are multiplied before God, and our Sins testify againit us ; yea, the very, best of our Works are not found perfect before God? Let us be zealous therefore, and repene
4 Stand not in an evil Thing: Wash thine Heart from Wickedness, that thou mayest be saved : How long ihall thy vain Thoughts lodge within thee?
• Return unto the Lord with all your Hearts, For the Lord is not willing ibat any should perilai but that all should come lo Repentanca,
Return to me, ffaith the Lord:).for I have redeemed you : Return unto me, and I will return unto you.
a Acts 17. 30.
Afts 26. 20 Colla. 59. 12.
Rev. 3. 2, 19: & Sam.-7. 3.
2 Pet. 3. 9.
b Ecclel. 36.15o Jer. 8. 6, d' Ecclef. 8. 3Jer. 4. 14% Ifa. 44: 220 Male 3: 2.1
• Repent ye, and believe the Gospel. Turn yourselves from all your Transgressions; so Iniquity shall not be your Ruin.
Bleffed is he whole Transgreffion is forgiven, whose Sin is covered. Blessed is the Man unto whom the Lord imputeth not Iniquity.
i Joy shall be in Heaven over one Sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just Persons which need no Repentance. But except ye repent, ye shall ali perith.
EXAMINATION. * Examine yourselves whether ye be in the Faith, Prove your own felves.
! Prepare your Hearts unto the Lord; bethink yourselves, and repent every one, Jaying, How many are mine Iniquities and Sins Lord, make me to know my Tranfgreflion and my Sin.
* Thus faith the Lord, Consider your Ways.
» Let us search and try our Ways, and turn again unto the Lord. Let us think on our Ways; So fhall we turn our Feet unto his Testimonies.
• To the Law, and to the Testimony: For the Word of God is quick and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged Sword, piercing even to the dividing alunder of Soul and Spirit, and of the Joints and Marrow, and is a Difcerner of the Thoughts and Intents of the Heart.
'. Enter thou into thy Chambers, and shut thy Door about thee. Commune with thine own
& Mark 1.15. Ezek. 18. 30.
b Pfal. 32. 1, 2.
i Luke k 15. 7. Luke 13. 3.
Cor. 13. 5:
1 Sam. 7.3 » Kings 8. 47• Job 13. 23. m Haggai 1.7.
» Lam. 3 40. Plal. 119. 59
• Ifa. &. 20. Heb. 4. 12. 20. Psal. 4. 4o
Heart, and let thy Spirit make diligent Search ; that thou mayest find out all thy Iniquities whereby thou hast sinned, and whereby thou hast tranl. greffed against the Lord.
9 Let every Man prove his own Work; and then thall he have Rejoicing in himself.
"A wicked Man hardeneth his Face; but as for the Upright, he directeth his Way.
Every one of us thall give Account of him. felf to God; and every Man fhall bear his own Burden. Therefore let us judge ourselves, so fhall we not be judged,
* If our Hearts condemn us not, then have we Confidence towards God. But let us take heed that we be not deceived in the Judgment we make of ourselves. For the Heart is deceitful above all Things, and desperately wicked; who can know it?
u Let us judge truly whether we have lived in all good Conscience before God; whether we have Jinned ignorantly in Unbelief; or whether we be of those that rebel against the Light; who knowing the Judgment of God, that they which commit such Things as we have commited, are worthy of Death, not only do the fame, but have Pleasure in them that do them. w There are certain which trust in
Presumption themselves that they are righteous, and defpile others; and yet are they full of Hypocrisy and Iniquity,
Pfal. 37. 6. Jer. 33. 8.
g Gal. 6. 4.
r Prov. 21. 29. s'Rom. 14. 12. Gal. 6. 5. 1 Cor. 11.
31. ti John 3. 217 Gal. 6. 7. Jer. 17.96 Acts 23. her I Tim. 1. 13.
Job! 74. 13. Rom. 1. 32. w Luke 18. 9. Mat. 23. 28.
* There is a Generation that are pure in their own Eyes, and yet is not wailued from their Filthiness,
y Wherefore have we fafted, say they, and thou fecit not? Wherefore have we afflicted our Soul, and thou takeft no Knowledge ? Dupai.
? Let 145 not say, as some have faid, There
is no Hope, but we will walk after our own Devices; and we will every one do the Imagination of his evi! Heart. For if our Heart condemn us, God is greater than our Heart, and knoweth all Things.
* Acknowledge thine Iniquity, that thou haft transgressed against the Lord thy God. Confefs thy Transgressions unto the Lord, and hide not the Iniquiry of thy Sin.
* Take with you Words, and turn to the Lord: Say unto him, 'We have finned against thee, O Lord; we have finned, and have done perversely; we have dealt very corruptly against thee, and have not kept the Commandments, nor the Statutes, nor the Judgments, which thou commandeft; we would not walk in thy Ways, nei ther were we obedient unto thy Law.
· I acknowledge my Tranfgreffion, and my Sin is ever before me. I have finned; what thall I do unto thee, O thou Preserver of Men!
Jer, 18. 11.
y Ifa. 58..3. 3. 20, a Jer. 3. 13. Pral. 32. 5. 34. 20.
1 Joha 6 Hosea 14. 2. Jer. Ild. 42.. 24.
* Prov. 30. 12.
1 Kings 8. 47 Neh. 1..] 25. 3. Job 7. 20.,
OF GOD. 299 • If we say that we have no Sin, we deceive ourselves, and the Truth is not in pis; but if we confess our Sins, God is faithful and just to'for give us our Sins, and to cleanfe us from all Un! righteousness.
e Who can understand his Errors ? Cleanle thou me, O Lord, from fecret Faults. Keep back thy Servani alio froin preluniptuous Sins ; let them not have Dominion over ms. Thus I prayed unto the Lord God, and made my Confeflion.
Cover not thy Tranfgreflions as Adam, by hiding thine Iniquity in thy Borom.
$ He that covereih his Sins shall not profper; but whoso confesleth and forsaketh thcip, Thali have Mercy.
Wo to the rebellious Children, faith the Lord, that cover with a Covering, but not of
my Spirit, that they may add Sin to Sin.
i There are that hold fast Deceit, and refuse to return unto the Lord: Who when they have committed Abomination, are not at all alhamed, neither can they blush. The Shew of their Countenance doth witness against them, and they declare their Sin as Sodom; they hide it not. Wo. unto their Soul, for they have rewarded Evilunto themselves.
* Thinkelt thou this to be right, that thou faidit, My Righteoufness is more than God's? How fhould Man be just with God? If he will contend with him, he cannot answer him one of a thousand. How thall I answer him, and choule:
di John 1. 8, 9.
e Pfal. 19. 12, 13. Dan. 9..1.. 31. 33 g Prov. 28. 13.
h lfa. 30. I.
i Jer. 8. 50 ķ Job 35•2. Job 9. Day 3: Job 3. 14.