« PreviousContinue »
m These Things command and teach. Let no Man despise thee.
* Be gentle unto all Mén, apt to teach, patient; in Meekness instructing those that oppofe themselves; in all Things Thewing thyself a Pattern of good Works; in Doctrine shewing Uncor. ruptness, Gravity, Sincerity, sound Speech that cannot be condemned ; that he which is of the contrary Part may be ashamed, having no evil Thing to say of you.
° Ordain Elders in every City. And the Things that thou hast heard of the Apostles of Christ, the fame coinmit thou to faithful Men, who shall be able to teach others also. But lay Hands 'suddenly on no Man: neither be Partaker of other Mens Sins.
P Them that fin, rebuke before all, that others also may fear. Against an Elder receive not an Accusation, but before two or three Witnesses.
9 Charge fome, that they teach no other Doctripe ; neither give heed to Fables and endless Genealogies, which minister Questions rather than godly Edifying, which is in Faith. For some have turned alide unto vain Jangling, desiring to be Teachers of the Law, and undertanding nei. ther what they say, nor whereof they affirm.
- A Man that is an Heretic, after the first and second Admonition, reject; knowing that he that is such, is subverted and finneth, being condemned of himself.
m 1 Tim. 4. II., Titus 2. 15.
2 Tim. 2. 24, 25. Titus 2. 7, 8.
o Titus I. 15.
2 Tim. 2. 2. Tim. 5. 9 I Tim. 1. 2, 3, 6, 7.
I Titus 32.
p i Tim. 5. 20, 19. 3. 10, II.
Observe these Things, without preferring one before another, doing nothing by Partiality; according to your Authority which the Lord hath given you for Edification, and not for Destruction.
Set in order the Things that are wanting in all Churches.
Likewise must the Deacons be grave; not double-tongued, not given to much Wine, not greedy of filthy Lucre; holding the Mystery of the Faith in a pure Conscience, and ruling their Children and their own Houses well.
* And let these also first be proved ; then let them use the Office of a Deacon, being found blameless : For they that have used the Office of a Deacon well, purchase to themselves a good Degree, and great Boldness in the Faith which is in Christ Jesus.
y Even so muft their Wives be grave; not Slanderers, sober, faithful in all Things.
The Scripture faith, Whosoever believeth on the Lord Jesus, shall not be athamed; and, Whosoever Mall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved. How then thall they call on him, in whom they have not believed ? And how shall they believe in him, of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear withont a Preacher? And how shall they preach, except they be sent?
t i Tim. 5. 21.
1 Cor. 7. 17. w I Tim. 3. 8, 9, 12.
* 1 Tim. 3. 10, 133 iTim. 3 • z Rom. 10. 11, 9, 13, 14, 1j. M
• No Man taketh this Honour of Ministering for Men, in Things pertaining to God, unto himself, but he that is called of God, as was Aaron, and the Priests and Levites under the Old Testament; and the Apostles, and other Ministers of the Gospel, under the New.
• No Man having put his Hand to the Plough, and looking back, is fit for the Kingdom of God.
We have this Treasure in earthen Veffels, that the Excellency of the Power may be of God, and not of us.
The Duty of CHRISTIAN BELIEVERS towards
• We beseech you, Brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you; and to esteem them very highly in Love for their Work's Sake.
e Remember them which have the Rule over you, who have spoken unto you the Word of God; whose Faith follow, considering the End of their Conversation.
f Let the Elders that rule well be counted worthy of double Honour; especially they who labour in the Word and Doctrine.
& Receive them in the Lord with all Gladness, and hold such in Reputation.
* Obey them that have the Rule over you, and submit yourselves; for they watch for your Souls,
b Luke a Heb. 5. 4, 1, 4.
e Heb. 13. 7. 1 Thefl. 5. 12, 13. 8 Phil. 2. 29
À Heb. 13. 170
c 2 Cor. 4. 7 f. Tim, s. 17.
as they that must give Account, that they may do it with Joy, and not with Grief.
i Submit yourselves unto such as have addicted themselves to the Ministry of the Saints, and to every one that helpeth with them and laboureth.
* For thus spake our Saviour unto his Disciples : Verily, verily, I say unto you, he that receiveth whomsoever I send, receiveth me; and he that receiveth me, receiveth him that sent me : He that heareth you, heareth me; and he that des spiseth you, despiseth me; and he that despiseth me, despiseth him that sent me. He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not Man, but God.
? The Lord will not regard them who have not respected the Persons of the Priests, nor favoured the Elders.
m Thus faith the Lord of Hofts, Ask the Priests concerning the Law.
Hearken unto the Priest that standeth to minister before the Lord thy God ; and to the Levites, that teach the good knowledge of the Lord.
The Scribes and Pharisees fit in Moses' Seat; all therefore, whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do ; but do not ye after their Works, if they fay, and do not.
P The Time will come when Men will not endure found Doctrine ; but after their own Lufts fhall they 'heap to themselves Teachers, having itching Ears, and they shall turn away
it Cor. 16. 16, 15, 16. k John 13. 20.
Luke 10. 16. 1 Theff.'4. 8. 1 Lam. 4. 16. m Hag. 2. 11. n Deur 17. 12. 2 Chron, 30. 22. o Mat. 23. 2, 3.
p 2 Tim. 4. 3; 14.
their Ears from the Truth, and shall be turned unto Fables.
4 But, wo to the rebellious Children, faith the Lord, that will not hear the Law of the Lord; which say to the Seers, See not; and to the Prophets, Prophely not unto us right Things, speak unto us smooth Things, prophesy Deceits: Get you out of the Way, turn aside out of the Path, cause the Holy One of Israel to cease from before
* Is any fick among you ? let him call for the Elders of the Church, and let them pray over him; and the Prayer of Faith shall* save the Sick; and if he have committed Sins, they shall be forgiven him.
· Let him that is taught in the Word, communicate unto him that teacheth in all good Things.
? · Do ye not know, that among the Jews, they which ministered about holy Things lived of the Things of the Templé? And they which waited at the Altar, were Partakers with the Altar? Even so hath the Lord ordained, that they which preach the Gospel, should live of the Gospel.
u Who goeth a Warfare at any Time at his own Charge? Who planteth a Vineyard, and eateth not of the Fruit thereof? Or who feedeth a Flock, and eateth not of the Milk of the Flock?
z Tim. 4. 4.
q Isa. 30. 1, 9, 10, 11. 14, 15•
• Gal. 6. 6. ii Cor. g. 33, 34. 97
1 James S.
W , Cor.