« PreviousContinue »
• What Things are Gain to us, those are to be counted Loss for Christ. And we are to leave all, and to follow him.
p He that loveth Father or Mother more than me, (Jaith our Saviour) is not worthy of me; and he that loveth Son or Daughter more than me, is not worthy of me.
! We love God, because he first loved us. Is not he our Father and our Redeemer, that hath bought us? Hath not he made us, and eftablished us?
There is no Fear in Love; but perfect Love casteth out Fear; because Fear hath Torment: He that feareth is not made perfect in Love.
• The Lord direct our Hearts into the Love of God. Grace be with all them that love our Lord Jesus Christ in Sincerity.
? Thou shalt love the Lord thy God, and keep his Charge, and his Statutes, and his Judgments, and his Commandments, alway.
u Thou shalt diligently hearken to the Voice of the Lord thy God, and do that which is right in his Sight, and serve him in Truth with all thy Heart.
w You shall walk in all the Ways which the Lord your God hath commanded you: You shall not turn aside to the Right-hand or to the Left.
o Phil. 3. 7. Mark 10. 28.
p Mat. 10. 37 91 John Deut. 32. 6. Isa. 44. 24. Deut. 32. 6. ! i Joha 8.2 Theff. 3. 5. Eph. 6. 24.
t Deut. 11. 1. • Exod, 15. 26. Sam. 12. 24:
w Deut. 5. 33, 32. H
* Ye shall not do every Man whatsoever is right in his own Eyes; but what Thing foever the Lord commandeth you, observe to do it. Thou fhalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.
• Hereby we do know that we know Jesus Christ, if we keep his Commandments. He that faith, I know him, and keepeth not his Commandments, is a Liar, and the Truth is not in him: But whoso keepeth his Word, in him verily is the Love of God perfected. Hereby also know we that we are in him ; who hath said, Ye are my Friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
z He that doth the Will of God abideth for
a Whosoever committeth Sin, transgresseth also the Law; for Sin is the Transgression of the Law.
• The Soul that doth aught presumptuously, the same reproacheth the Lord. Because he hath despised the Word of the Lord, his Inįquity fhall be upon him.
· Not every one that saith unto Christ, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the Kingdom of Heaven ; but he that doth the Will of his Father which is in Heaven.
• Circumcision is nothing, and Uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the Commandments of God.
% Deut. 12. 8, 32. * John • 3, 4, 5
John 15: 4. z John 2. 17. a i John 3. 4.
b Numbi 15. 30, 31: & Mat. 7. 21. 1 Cor. 7. 19.
• Thus faith the Lord of Hofts, the God of Israel; I spake not to your Fathers in the Day
I that I brought them out of the Land of Egypt, concerning Burnt-offerings or Sacrifices; but this Thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my Voice, and walk ye in all my Ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you.
, Behold, to obey is better than Sacrifice, and to hearken, than the Fat of Rams.
& Be ye Doers of the Word, and not Hearers
£ only, deceiving your own selves: For if any be a Hearer of the Word, and not. a Doer, he is like unto a Man beholding his natural Face in a Glass ; for he beholdeth himself, and goeth his
and straight way forgetteth what manner of Man he was: But whoso looketh into the perfect Law of Liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful Hearer, but a Doer of the Work; this Man shall be blessed in his Deed. For not the Hearers of the Law are just before God, but the Doers of the Law shall be justified.
h We ought to obey God rather than Men: For we are the Servants of the God of Heaven and Earth.
i No Man can serve two Masters, for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and Mammon.
e Jer. 7. 21, 22, 23.
f 1 Sam. 15. 22. & James 1. 22, 23, 24, 25. Rom. 2. 13. h Ads 5. 29. Ezra 5.11. i Mat. 6. 24.
SUBMISSION. * Submit yourselves to God; saying, upon all Occasions, The Will of the Lord be done. And take heed that ye never charge God foolishly.
1 Whatever Troubles shall befal any of you, he ought to say, It is the Lord, let him do what seemeth him good. If it be possible, let this Cup pass from me; nevertheless not as I will, but as ihou wilt.
m If I shall find Favour in the Eyes of the Lord, he will prosper me in my Ways ; but if he have no Delight in me, behold here am I, let him do to me as seemeth good unto him.
* My Son, despise not thou the Chastening of the Lord, neither be weary of his Correction, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him. For whom the Lord loveth, he correcteth, even as a father the Son in whom he delighteth.
• Should it be according to thy Mind? He will recompense it, whether thou refuse, or whether thou choose. P If
ye endure Chastening, God dealeth with you as with Sons. We have had Fathers of our Flesh, which corrected us, and we gave them Reverence; shall we not much rather be in Subjection unto the Father of Spirits? For they chastened us after their own Pleasure, but he for our Profit, that we might be Partakers of his Holiness. Now no Chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: Nevertheless,
ķ James 4, 7.
Acts 21. 14..
Job 1, 22.
Prov. 3. 12.
afterward it yieldeth the peaceable Fruit of Righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.
9 Humble yourselves therefsre under the mighty Hand of God, that he may exalt you in due Time.
In your Patience possess ye your Souls; knowing that Tribulation worketh Patience, and Patience Experience, and Experience Hope. Wherefore, gird up the Loins of your Mind, be fober, and hope to the End. And let them that suffer according to the Will of God, commit the keeping of their Souls to hiin in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.
s Let not your Heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. If thou faint in the Day of Adverfity, thy Strength is small.
Caft not away your Confidence ; but take joyfully the spoiling of your Goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in Heaven a better and an enduring Substance.
• The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the Name of the Lord. What! Thall we receive Good at the Hand of God, and shall we not receive. Evil?
Although the Fig-tree shall not blossom, neither shall Fruit be in the Vines, the Labour of the Olive shall fail, and the Fields thall yield no Meat, the Flock shall be cut off from the Fold, and there shall be no Herd in the Stalls ; yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my Salvation.
Heb. 12. II. q i Pet. 5. 6.
1 Pet. 4. 190
t Heb. 10. 35, 34. W. Hab. 3. 17, 18.
I Luke 21. 19.
Rom. 5. John 14. 27
Prov. Job . 1. 21. Job 2. 10.