« PreviousContinue »
OFFICE OF SUPERINTENDENT OF DOCUMENTS Mr. BENJAMIN. Office of Superintendent of Documents. You are requesting $23,037,000 for 1980, a decrease of $163,000 from the 1979 appropriations enacted to date. How many positions does this request include? Mr. LABARRE. 383. That is on page IV-2, sir. Mr. BENJAMIN. We will insert the budget schedule and justification material (IV-1 through IV-5 and supporting statement) in the record at this point.
[The information follows:)
BENARRE OSition hacter, 198007
Program by activities:
1. Special sales of publications...
agencies and Members of Congress ...
Total direct program ............
Total obligations .............
3,745 15,475 1.653 300
3.155 15,816 1,574
Budget authority ..........................
Relation of obligations 10 outlays: 21.00 Obligations incurred, net 72.40 Obligated balance, start of year .......... 74.40 Obligated balance, end of year ............. 90.00 Outlays, excluding pay raise supple.
mental ......................................... 91.20 Outlays from civilian pay raise supplemental...........
12.1 21.0 22.0 23.2 24.0 25.0 26.0 31.0 92.0
Total personnel compensation...........
3,695 · 353
22 533 4.568 8,655 3,613
12.1 21.0 22.0 23.1 23.2 24.0 250 26.0 31.0
Total personnel compensation...
Total reimbursable obligations...
OFFICE OF SUPERINTENDENT OF DOCUMENTS
SALARIES AND EXPENSES For necessary expenses of the Office of Superintendent of Documents, including compensation of all employees in accordance with the provisions of 44 U.S.C. 305; travel expenses (not to exceed $88,300): Provided, That expenditures in connection with travel expenses of the Depository Library Council to the Public Printer shall be deemed necessary to carry out the provisions of chapter 19 of title 44, United States Code; price lists and bibliographies; repairs to buildings, elevators, and machinery; and supplying books to depository libraries; [$23,200,000) $23,037,000: Provided further, That $300,000 of this appropriation shall be apportioned for use pursuant to section 3679 of the Revised Statutes, as amended (31 U.S.C. 665), with the approval of the Public Printer, only to the extent necessary to provide for expenses (excluding permanent personal services) for workload increases not anticipated in the budget estimates and which cannot be provided for by normal budgetary adjustments. (Legislative Branch Appropriation Act, 1979.)
Salaries and expenses estimated requirements for fiscal year 1980 1. Personnel compensation...
$4, 860, 000 2. Personnel benefits.-
484, 000 3. Travel and transportation of perso
45, 000 4. Transportation of things
74, 000 5. Rent, communications, and utilities..
4, 135, 000 6. Printing and reproduction.
10, 447, 000 7. Other services...
2, 108, 000 8. Supplies and materials..---
510, 000 9. Machinery and equipment.:
74, 000 Contingency fund.--.-
300, 000 Total.
$23, 037, 000
SUMMARY AND JUSTIFICATION OF APPROPRIATION
ESTIMATES FOR SALARIES AND EXPENSES, FISCAL YEAR 1980
The budget request for the Office of Superintendent of Documents is to provide for salaries and expenses for the sale, distribution, and cataloging and indexing of Government documents to the public, for Members of Congress, and for other Government agencies. The total request for fiscal year 1980 is $23,037,000. The requirements, by major classification and expense, are explained below.
1. Personnel Compensation. Compensation is requested for 383 positions. The total request for Personnel Compensation is $4,860,000.
2. Personnel Benefits.-Funds are requested for the Government's contribution toward employees' retirement, health benefits, and life insurance. The total request for Personnel Benefits is $484,000.
3. Travel and Transportation of Persons.—Travel is necessary for inspection of commercial contractors' facilities and statutory requirements for inspection of conditions of depository libraries. Travel is also incurred in connection with training. The total request for Travel and Transportation of Persons is $45,000.
4. Transportation of Things.—This expense includes the cost of transporting publications for local and long distance delivery to warehouses, mailing facilities, and to Members of Congress. The total request for Transportation of Things is $74,000.
5. Rent, Communications, and Utilities:
a. Rentals.—This expense includes the costs of leasing office and warehouse space and rental of office machines. The total request for Rentals is $378,000.
b. Communications.—This expense includes the costs of mailing publications to Depository Libraries and By-Law mailings for Congress which have the U.S. Government Printing Office postage and fees indicia. Also included is postage for the mailing of all administrative correspondence except for the General Sales program. The total request for Communications is $3,665,000.
c. Utilities.-Utilities are paid for leased office and warehouse space. The total request for Utilities is $92,000.
6. Printing and Reproduction.—This expense is necessary for the printing of all Depository Library publications, subject classification lists and catalogs and indexes. The total request for Printing and Reproduction is $10,447,000.
7. Other Services.—There are two major expenses included in Other Services: The cost for administrative support and building expenses and the cost of computer services supplied both by the Government Printing Office and by outside contractors. Additional expenses for