« PreviousContinue »
another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us. 13. We know that we abide in him, and he in us, because he hath given to us his Spirit. 14. And we have seen, and testify, that the Father -sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.. ,
15. Whoever will, (practically) confess that Je.
in God. 16. And we know and believe the love God hath to us: God is love; and he that abideth in love abideth in God, and God in him.. .
17. Hereby is love made perfect in us, that we may have confideuce in the day of judgment: since
abject fear in love; but perfect love, casteth out fear, because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. 19. We love him, because he first loved us.
20. If a man say, I love God, and hate his bro. ther, he is a liar. For whoever loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? 21. And we have this command from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also. (iii. 17.)
1. GOSPEL COMMANDS. WHOEVER truly believes that Jesus is the Christ, is born of God, and whoever loveth him that begat, loveth him also that is begotten of him. 2. Hereby we know that we love God, when we keep his commands and love his children. 3. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commands; and his commands are not grievous. 4. For whatever is born of God overcomes tbe world; and it is our faith that gets the victory over the world.
5. He overcomes the world that believes Jesus
and by blood; not by water only, but by water and blood: And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, be. cause the Spirit is true.
7. For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one. 8. And there are three on earth that bear witness, the spirit, the water, and the blood, (in miracles, baptism, and the supper); and these three agree in one. 9. If we receive men's testimony, God's testimony is greater; for this is what God testified of his Son. 10. He that believeth in the Son of God hath the testimo ny in himself: He that believes not God endea. vours to make him false; because he believeth not the testimony that God gave of his Son. 11. And the testimony that God hath given to us is eternal life: and this life is in his Son. 12. He that hath (an interest in the Son, hath life: and he that hath not (an interest in the Son of God hath not life (or bliss.)
13. These things I write to you, that ye may know that ye have eternal life, who believe in the name of the Son of God. 14. And we have this confidence toward him, that if we ask any thing according to his will, he hearkens to us. . 15. And if we know that he hearkeneth to us, in whatever we ask, we know that we (shall certainly) bare the petitions we desired of him.
16. If any man see his brother commit a sin which is not unto death, (Heb. X. 26. Lev. xxiv. 16.) he shall ask, that they may obtain life, who sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. 17. All uprighteous. ness is sin; but there is a sin not unto death. 18. We know that whoever is born of God sinneth not so, for he that is born of God keepeth himself, that the evil one (Satan) toucheth him not. 19. And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.
20. Now we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, to know him that is true (God); and we are in him that is true
(God), thro' his Son Jesus Christ; he is the true God, and eternal life. :
21. Children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.
- AN EXHORTATION TO STEADFASTNESS. THE presbyter to the excellent lady and her chil. dren, whom I love in the truth; and not I only, but also all who know the truth; 2. For the truth's sake, which abides in us, and will be in us for ever: 3. Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, be with you, in truth and love. ..
4. I rejoiced greatly to find thy children walking in(gospel) truth, as we received command from God the Father. "." . . 5. And now I beseech thee, lady, not as writing a new command to thee, but what we had from the beginning, that we love one another. 6. And this is love, that we walk according to his commands. This is the command, as ye heard from the begin. ning, that ye should walk in it. 7. For many deceivers are come into the world, who confess pot that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. Such an one is a deceiver and an antichrist..
8. Look to yourselves, that we lose not the things we have wrought, but that we may receive a full reward. 9. Whoever transgresseth, and a bideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not (the love of) God; be that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, hath (the love of) both the Father and the Son.
· 10. If any come to you, and bring not this doc trine, receive him not into your house, nor bid him good, speed; 11. For he that wisheth him good speed is partaker of his evil deeds.
12. Having many things to write to you, I would not with paper and ink; for I hope to come to you, and speak face to face, that our joy may be fulfill. ed.
13. The children of thy excellent sister salute thee. Amen. I tidig,';.
THE THIRD EPISTLE OF
S. JOHN. "GAIUS COMMENDED FOR HIS PIETY. The presbyter to the beloved Gaius, whom I love in the truth. wizinisco
2. Beloved, I pray that in every respect thou mayest prosper and be in' health, as thy soul prospereth., 3. For I rejoiced greatly when the breth. ren came and testified of the truth in thee, as thou walkest in, the truth. 4. I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. - 5. Beloved, thou doest faithfully whatever thou docst to the brethren, and to strangers; 6. Who have borne witness of thy love before the church; whom if thou conduct on their journey in a godly way, thou shalt do well; 7. As for his name's sake they went forth, taking nothing of the Gentiles. 8. We therefore ought to receive such, that we might be fellow.labourers for the truth.
9. I wrote to the church; but Diotrephes, who loves to have the pre-eminence among them, receives us not. 10. Therefore, if I come, I will remember what he doeth, prating against us with malicious words; and not content therewith, he receives not the brethren, and forbids them that would, and casts them out of the church.
11. Beloved, follow not what is evil, but what is good. He that doeth good is of God; but he that doeth evil hath not known God..
12. Demetrius hath a good testimony from all men, and from the truth itself; we also testify; and ye know that our testimony is true.
13. I had many things to write, but I will not with ink and pen write to thee: 14. But I hope to see thee shortly, and speak face to face. Peace be to thee. Our friends salute thee. Salute the friends by name.
S. JUDE the Apostle's
GENERAL EPISTLE. EXHORTATION TO CONSTANCY IN FAITH. Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are called and sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ: 2. May mercy, and peace, and love, be multiplied to you.
8. Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write to you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write to you, and exhort you earnestly to contend for the faith once delivered to the saints. 4. For some men are crept in unawares, being written of before of old, for this condemnation, (which others suffered for such crimes); ungodly men, turning the grace of our God to lasciviousness; and denying (God) the only Sovereign, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
5. I will now remind you, who once knew this, VOL. III.