« PreviousContinue »
8. If we say we have no sin we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and mera ciful to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10. If we say we have not sinned, we endeavour to make him false, and his word is not in us.
CHAP. II. WHAT IT IS RIGHTLY TO KNOW GOD. My children, these things I write to you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin (not wilfully, Heb. x. 26.) we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous (one)2. And he is the propitiation for our sins; and not for our's only, but also (sufficient, John xvii. 9.) for the sins of the whole world.
3. And we know hereby that we know him, if we keep his commands. 4. He that saith I know him, and keeps not his commar:ds, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5. But whoever keeps his word, in him truly is the love of God perfected: hereby we know that we are in him. 6. He that saith he abideth in him (by faith and love) ought himself to walk as he walked.
7. Brethren, I write no new commandment to you, but an old one, even the word which ye heard from the beginning.
8. Again, a new command I write to you, which is true in him and in you; because the darkness is past, and the true light, now shineth. 9. He that saith he is in the (gospel) light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness until now. 10. He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is no cause of stumbling in him; 11. But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because darkness hath blinded his eyes,
19. Thes whereby wes, even now ina
. i 12. I write to you fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. 13. I write to you children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake, and ye have known God the Father. 14. I have written to you, young men, because ye are strong (in faith), and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the evil one. :
15. Love not the world, nor the things in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.", 16. For all that is in the world is the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, which are not of the Father, but of the world. 17. And the world passeth away with its luxury; but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever. : ,, WIE
18. Children, it is the last time; and as ye heard that antichrist will come, even now there are many antichrists; whereby we know it is the last time..
19. They (apostatized and) went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out, that they might be made manifest not to be all of us, 20. But ye have an unction and inspiration from the holy One, (Acts iii. 14.) so ye know all things.
21. I have not written to you as not knowing the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth. 22. Who is a liar, but he that denies that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist that de. nies the Father and the Son. 23. Whoever denies the Son, hath not the Father; but he that acknow. ledgeth the Son hath the Father also.
24. Let what ye have heard from the beginning, abide in you, and if so, ye also shall abide in the Son, and in the Father
2 25. And this is the promise he hath given us,. even eternal life.,, ..26. These things I have written to you, concerning them that seduce you. 27. But the inspired) VOL. III. 3 Z
anointing, which ye received of him, abideth in you; so ye 'need not that any man teach you; as the same anointing teacheth you all things, being truth, and having no falsehood in it; even as it hath taught you, abide in him.
28. Now, children, abide in him (by faith and love); that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his appearance. 29. If ye know that he is righteous, be assured that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.
:: Sri CHAP. III. . . .. CHAP. III.
OF GOD'S LOVE TOWARDS US. '. BEHOLD what great love the Father hath bestow. ed on us, that we should become the children of God! in this respect the world knoweth us not, because it knows him not. . . 2. Beloved, now we are the sons of God, but it hath not yet been manifested what we shall be; but we know, that when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is, (in glory enjoying him). 3. And every man that hath this hope in him, purifieth himself, even as he is pure (from sin).
4. Whoever committeth sin: transgresseth also the law; for sin is the transgression of the law. 5. And ye know he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. 6. Whoever abideth in him, (by faith and love) practiseth pot sin; who ever practiseth sin hath not seen him, por known him.
7. Children, let no man deceive you; he that practiseth righteousness is righteous, even as he (himself) is righteous. 8. He that practiseth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the be. ginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, even to destroy the works of the devil, (sin and misery), 9. Whoever is born of God
doth not practise sin, for his gracious seed remains in him; and he cannot practise sin, because he is born of God,
10. In this the children of God are manifested, and the children of the devil, whoever practiseth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that lov. eth not his brother. . .
11. For this is the command which ye have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
· 12, Not as Cain, who was of (Satan) that evil one, and slew his brother. And why slew he him? because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.
13. Wonder not, my brethren, if the world hate you. 14. We know we have passed from spiritu.
al death to spiritual life, because we love the breth · ren. He that loveth not his brethren abideth in • spiritual death (in sin). 15. Whoever hateth his
brother is a murderer, and ye know that no mur. derer hath the seed of eternal life abiding in him.
16. Hereby perceive we the love of Christ, in that he laid down his life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. i 17. But whoever hath this world's goods and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how abideth the love of God in him? 18. My children, let us not love in word, or in tongue; but in deed and in truth, 19. And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall have confidence in our hearts be. fore him, (in devotion). 20. For if our hearts condemn us, God is greater than our hearts, and knows all things. 21. Beloved, if our hearts condemn us not, then have we confidence before God. 22. And whatever we ask we receive of him, because we keep his command, and do what is pleas. ing in his sight. 23. And this is his command, to believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and loye one another, as he gave us command. 24. And whoever keepeth his commands abideth in him (by faith and love), and he abideth in that man. And we know he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us...
CHAP. IV. WE MUST NOT BELIEVE ALL TEACHERS. BELOVED, believe not every (pretender to the) Spirit, but try the spirits (Isa. viii. 20.) whether they are of God; because many false prophets are goue out into the world. 2. Hereby ye know the Spirit of God, Every spirit that (practically) confesseth Jesus Christ come in the flesh, is of God: 3. And every spirit that doth not so, is not of God: and this is the spirit of antichrist, whereof ye heard that it would come, and it is now already in the world. i... 14. Ye are of God, little children, and have over. come them, (false spirits); because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 5. They are of the world, therefore speak they of the world, and the world beareth them. 6. We are of God: He that knowoth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of error..
7. Beloved, let us love one another: For love is of God; and every one that lovethi is born of God, and knoweth God. ' .
8. He that loveth not, knoweth not God; for God is love. 9. In this was manifested the love of God towards us, that he sent his most dearly be. loved Son into the world, that we might live (for ever happy) through him. .
10. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propi. ation for our sins. 1
11. Beloved, if God so loved us, how ought we to love one another.
12. No man hath ever seen God: If we love one