« PreviousContinue »
himself, (by making him sit at his right hand), and will straightway glorify him. 33. Little children, but a little while longer I am with you. Ye shall seek me; and, as I said to the Jews, so now I say to you, Whither I go ye cannot (now) come. 34. A new command I give you, to love one another; as I loved you, that ye also love one another. 35. By this shall all men know ye are my disciples, if ye love one another,
36. Simon Peter said to him, Lord, whither goest thou? Jesus answered him, Whither I go thou canst not follow me now; but thou shalt fol. low me afterwards. 37. Peter saith to him, Lord, why cannot I follow thee now? I will lay down my life for thy sake. 38. Jesus answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for my sake? Verily, verily, I tell thee, The cock shall not crow till thou hast denied me thrice.
Let not your hearts be troubled: believe in God, believe also in me. 2. In my Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. · I go to prepare a place for you. 3. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come a. gain, and receive you to myself; that where I am, ye may be also. 4. And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.
5. Thomas saith to him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way? 6. Jesus saith to him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life, (the true and living way to life or happiness); none cometh to the Father but by me. 7. If ye had known me, ye would have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye VOL. III.
know him, and have seen him in his glory, mani. fested in me and my works.)
8. Philip saith to him, Lord, shew us the Fa. ther, and it sufficeth us. 9. Jesus saith to him, Have I been so long with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he who hath seen me hath seen the Father; how then sayest thou, Shew us the Father? 10. Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak to you, I speak not of myself; but the Fa. ther, that abideth in me, he doeth the works. 11. Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the works themselves. 12. Verily, verily, I tell you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do he shall do also; and great. er works than these shall be do, because I go to my Father, (to send the Spirit to work wonders by you). 13. And whatever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son, (by the Spirit.) 14. If ye shall ask any thing in my name I will do it.
15. If ye love me, keep my commands; 16. And I will ask the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter to abide with you for ever; 17. Even the Spirit of truth, whom the world can. not receive, because it discerns him not, nor know. eth him; but ye know him; for he abideth in you, and shall be with you. 18. I will not leave you destitute. I will come to you (after my resurrec. tion, and by my Spirit). 19. Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye (shall) see me; because I live, ye shall live also. 20. At that day (of Pentecost, Acts ii.) ye shall know that I am in the Father, and you in me, and I in you. 21. He that hath my commands, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me; and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
22. Judas (not Iscariot,) saith to him, Lord, how is it that thou wilt soon manifest thyself to us, and not to the world?
23. Jesus replied to him, If any man love me, he will keep my words; and my Father will love him, and we will come to him, and make our abode with him (by the Spirit). 24. He that loveth me not, keepeth not my words, and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's who sent me. 25. These things have I spoken to you, being yet present with you. 26. But the Comforter, who is the Holy Spi. rit, whom the Father will send in my name, shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatever I have said to you. 27. Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you; not as the world giveth give I to you. Let not your heart be troubled, nor dismayed. 28. Ye have heard how I said to you, I go away, and come again to you. If ye loved me ye would rejoice, because I said, I go to the Father; for my Father is greater than I, (as Mediator). 29. And now I have told you before it come to pass, that when it takes place, ye might believe. 50. Hereafter I will not talk much with you; for (Satan) the prince of this (wicked) world cometh, and hath nothing (evil to find) in me, (whereby he may accuse or captivate me). 31. But that the world may know that I love the Father, and as the Father command. ed me, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence,
THE PARABLE OF THE VINE. I am the true vine, and my Father is the hus. bandman. 2. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away; and every branch that beareth fruit he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit (of righteousness). 3. Now ye are clean thro' the word I have spoken to you, (xvii. 17. Acts xv. 9.) 4. Abide in me, and I in you, (ver. 7, 9, 10.) As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it
abide in the vine; neither can ye, except ye abide in me. 5. I am the vine, ye are the branches; he that abideth in me, and I in him, bringeth forth much fruit; for separated from me ye can do no. thing. 6. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a withered branch, which is gathered, and cast into the fire, and burned. 7. If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye may ask what ye will, and it shall be done to you. 8. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples. 9. As the Father loved me, so I have loved you: continue ye in my love. 10. If ye keep my commands, ye shall abide in my love; even as I kept my Father's commands, and abide in his love. 11. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
12. This is my command, That ye love one another, as I loved you. 13. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. 14. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatever I command you. 15. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth; but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known to you. 16. Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and appointed you to go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should continue; that whatever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he may give it you. 17. These things I command you, that ye love one another..
18. î If the world hate you, ye know it hated me before it hated you. 19. If ye were of (a con. formity to the world, it would love its own; but because ye are not of the world, as I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. 20. Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his Lord. If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep your's also. 21. But all these things will they do to you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me. 22. If I had not come and spoken to them, they had not had (so great) sin: but now they have no excuse for their sin (of hatred, infidelity, and impenitency.) 23. He that hateth me, hateth my Father also. 24. If I had not done works among them which no other did, they would not have had (so great) sin: but now they have both seen and hated both me and my Father. 25. But this comes to pass, that what is written in their law might be fulfilled, They hated me without a cause. 26. But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send to you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, who proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me. 27. And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.
THE HOLY SPIRIT PROMISED. These things I have spoken to you, that yé should not take offence (at the cross.) 2. They shall put you out of the synagogues; yea, the time cometh, that whoever killeth you will think he doeth God service. 3. And these things will they do to you, because they have not known the Father, nor me. 4. But these things I have told you, that, when the time comes, ye may remember that I told you them. And these things I said not to you at the beginning, because I was with you. 5. But now I go away to him that sent me; and none of you knows where I go, or asketh me, Whither goest thou? 6. But because I said these things to you, sorrow hath filled your heart. 7. Nevertheless, I tell you the truth; it is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send