« PreviousContinue »
Then they all condemned him to be guilty of death....na . 65. Now some spit on him, and covered his face, and struck him with the fist, and said to him. Prophesy who smote thee; nay, the servants gave him strokes. com
66. Now while Peter was in the hall below, there comes one of the high priest's maids. 67. And seeing Peter warming himself, she looking to him, said, Thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth.
68. But he denied, saying, I know not, nor understand what thou sayest. Then he went out into the porch; and the cock crew. .
69. And a maid seeing him again, said to them that stood by, This is one of them.
70. But he denied it again. And a little after they that stood by, said again to Peter, Surely thou art one of them; for thou art a Galilean, as thy speech resembles it.
71. But he began to curse and to swear, saying, I know not this man of whom ye speak.
72. Now the cock crew the second time. Then Peter recalled to mind what Jesus said to him, Before the cock crow twice thou shalt deny me thrice. And when he thought thereon he wept.
CHAP. XV. JESUS IS BROUGHT BOUND TO PILATE. And immediately in the morning the chief priests held a consultation with the elders and scribes, and the whole council, and bound Jesus, and took him away, and delivered him to Pilate.
2. Then Pilate asked him, Art thou the king of the Jews? And he answered, Thou sayest it.
3. Then the chief priests accused him of many things; but he answered nothing.
4. And Pilate asked him again, Answerest thou nothing? Behold how many things they witness against thee.
. 5. But Jesus yet answered nothing; so that Pilate wondered.
6. q Now at the feast he released whatever prisoner they desired. 7. And one named Barabbas, lay bound with them that made insurrection with him, wherein he had committed murder in the in. surrection.
8. Now the multitude, crying aloud, desired him to do as he had always done to them.
9. Then Pilate said, shall I release to you the King of the Jews? 10. For he knew that the chief priests had delivered him thro' envy.
11. But the chief priests moved the people to ask him rather to release Barabbas to them.
12. Now Pilate said again to them, What shall I do then with him whom ye call king of the Jews? 13. Then they cried out again, Crucify hiin.
14. Then Pilate said to them, But what evil hath he done? But they cried out exceedingly, Crucify him.
15. Thus Pilate, willing to content the people, released Barabbas unto them, and delivered Jesus, when scourged, to be crucified. :: 16. Now the soldiers led him away into the judg. ment hall, and called together the whole band. 17. And clothed him with purple, and plaited a crown of thorns, and put it about his head, 18. And be. gan to salute him, saying, Hail, King of the Jews! 19. And they smote him on the head with a reed, and spat upon him, and bowing their knees, wor.
shipped him. . 20. And having mocked him, they took off the purple from him, and put his own clothes on him, and led him out to crucify him.
21. And they compelled one Simon a Cyrenian, who passed by, coming from the country, the father of Alexander and Rufus, to bear his cross.
22. And they bring him to Golgotha, which is, being interpreted, The place of a skull. 23. And they gave him to drink wine mingled with myrrh; but he received it not.
24. And they crucified him and parted his gar. ments, casting lots for what every man should take.
25. Now it was the third hour when they cruci. fied him.
26. And his accusation was written above, to wit, THE KING OF THE JEWS.
27. And with him they crucify two robbers; the one on his right hand, and the other on his left.
28. Now the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, And he was numbered with the transgressors, (Isai. liii. 12.)
29. And they also that passed by, reviled hiin, shaking their heads, and saying, Ah! thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, so. Save thyself, and come down from the cross. 31. Likewise also the chief priestsy mocking, said among themselves, with the scribes, He saved others; himself he cannot save. 32. Let Christ the King of Israel descend from the cross, that we may see and believe. And (one of) them that were crucified with him reviled him.
33. Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour. 34. And then Jesus cried with a loud voice, Eloi, ELOI, LAMA SABACTHANI? which is, being interpreted, My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?
35. And some of them that stood by, hearing, said, lo, he calleth Elias. 36. Now, one ran and filled a sponge with vinegar, and put it on a reed, and gave him to drink; another saying, forbear; let us see whether Elias will come to take him down.
57. Then Jesus cried with a loud voice, and ex. pired. 38. Then the vail of the temple was divided in two, from the top to the bottom.
39, I And the centurion, who stood opposite to
dint, seeing that he so cried out and expired, he said,
Traly this man was the Son of God. • 40. There were also women looking at a distance, among whoin was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the younger, and of Joses, and of Salome; 41. Who also followed him, and minis. tered unto him in Galilee, and many other women who came up with him to Jerusalem
42. Now at evening, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the Sabbath, 43. Joseph of Arimathea, an honourable counsellor, who also waited for the kingdom of God, came, and went in boldly to Pilate, and asked the body of Jesus. 44. But Pilate marvelled if he were already dead. And calling to him the centurion, asked him whether he had been any while dead. 45. And when the centurion told him, he gave the body to Joseph. 46. Who bought fine linen, and took him down, and wrapped him in it, and laid him in a sepulchre hewn out of a rock, and rolled a stone to its door. 47. Now Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of Joses, beheld where he was laid.
CHAP. XVI. CHRIST'S RESURRECTION DECLARED. Now the Sabbath being past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, bought sweet spices, and came to anoint him.
2. And very early in the morning, the first day of the week, they came to the sepulchre at the rising of the sun's splendour: 3. And said among themselves, Who shall roll us away, the stone from the sepulchre door? 4. And when they had looked, they saw the stone was rolled away; for it was very great."
5. Then entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed with a white robe; and they were astonished. 6, But he said, Be not astonished, ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified; he is not here, he is risen;.be. hold the place where they laid him. 7. But depart; tell the disciples, and Peter, that he goeth before you into Galilee: there ye shall see him, as he said to you.
8. So they went out quickly, and fled from the sepulchre; for they trembled, and were amazel: neither told they any thing to any man; for they were afraid.
9. q Now Jesus having risen early, the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he cast seven devils. 10. Then she went and told them that had been with him, as they mourned and wept. 11. But tho' they heard that he was alive, and was seen of her, they believed not.
12. 9 After that he appeared in another manner to two of them walking into the country, 13. Who went and told it to the rest, but they believed them not.
14. I Afterward he appeared to the eleven, sitting at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not those who had seen him after he was risen.
15. Then he said to them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16. He that believeth and is baptized, shall be saved; but he that believeth not, shall be condemned. 17. And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name they shall cast out devils; they shall speak new languages; 18. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing it shall not hurt them: they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
19. I So then, after the Lord had spoken to them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
20. So they went forth, and preached every