A Bias for Action: How Effective Managers Harness Their Willpower, Achieve Results, and Stop Wasting Time

Front Cover
Harvard Business Press, 2004 - Business & Economics - 212 pages
2 Reviews
Reviews aren't verified, but Google checks for and removes fake content when it's identified
A surprising look at the factors that separate truly productive managers from the rest‚¨”and a framework for increasing personal managerial effectiveness to make every moment count. Sumantra Ghoshal and Heike Bruch reveal that only 10% of managers act purposefully to get truly important work done. The other 90% simply ‚¨Sspin their wheels‚¨ by procrastinating, detaching emotionally, and distracting themselves with busywork. Why does this happen, and what separates productive managers from their less purposeful colleagues? Based on exclusive research across several industries, and illustrated through stirring personal stories, A Bias for Action shows that great managers produce results not by motivating others, but by engaging their own willpower through a powerful combination of energy and focus. Bruch and Ghoshal provide simple strategies for bolstering individual willpower and action-taking abilities, and explore ways to marshal the willpower of others to encourage collective action. A Bias for Action challenges conventional management thinking: Authors show that it is not ‚¨Smotivation,‚¨ but individual ‚¨Swillpower‚¨ that truly separates productive managers from their less productive peers Managers at all levels in all companies are familiar with the feeling of ‚¨Sspinning their wheels‚¨ . By showing what it takes to break through the traps of ‚¨Sactive nonaction‚¨ ‚¨”this book can help increase managerial productivity and positively impact the bottom line The authors offer specific strategies for increasing managerial effectiveness at the individual and organizational levels A Bias for Action illustrates its findings through vivid personal stories, many of them coming from international organizations.
 

What people are saying - Write a review

Reviews aren't verified, but Google checks for and removes fake content when it's identified

A bias for action how effective managers harness their willpower, achieve results, and stop wasting time

User Review  - Not Available - Book Verdict

"By its very nature, a manager's job leaves little room for reflection," Bruch and Ghoshal contend,"and as a result managers tend to ignore or postpone dealing with the organization's most crucial ... Read full review

User Review - Flag as inappropriate

great book a must read for high achievers .

Selected pages

Contents

Preface
ix
Management Is the Art of Doing and Getting Done
3
Distinguish Purposeful Action from Active Nonaction
19
Marshaling Energy and Developing Focus
33
Moving Beyond Motivation to Willpower
53
Crossing the Rubicon
69
Overcoming me Three Traps or Nonaction
89
Developing Purposeful Managers The Organizations Responsibility
115
Unleashing Organizational Energy for Collective Action
139
Freeing Your People to Act A Mandate for Leaders
165
How We Studied Willpower
179
Notes
183
Index
203
About the Authors
211
Copyright

Common terms and phrases

Bibliographic information